im looking into buying a les paul copy cause i cant afford the real thing! *cries*
i was looking into the tokai until i realised it had an agathis body and i heard that agathis isnt really that good. however i really like the tokai les pauls set up and action and everything like that. so i was thinking about going for a loverock model because it has the mahogany body which i love!, then i heard about the agile models and only heard good things about them for their price, i dont no much about them so could someone please tell me which brand to go for and why, and then which model?

i no its all about personal preference and stuff, but i just wanted to no which one in 'theory' is the better guitar!

i dunno if it helps but i play alot of blues and jazz aswell as some rock, and il be playing through a VOX AD30VT

im sorry if this has come up in another thread, i searched for it and couldnt find anything!

Thanks in advance, Jamie.
I'd go with the Agile if you are in the states. AL-3000s are probably the best bang for your buck and will probably be just as good as the newer Tokais. Plus Rondomusic has good customer service and a good return policy.
Toakai. Quality control is awesome. I'd reccommend you try and find a used lawsuit-era Tokai, which were essentially as good as Gibsons.
okay so you said the brand, what about the model?

and i no i sent out a thread before about agathis, but is it really that bad of a wood?
Tokai, by a long, long, long way.

People on here have a hard-on for Agiles because they're slightly easier to get hold of in America than Tokai are, so simply more people have them. Anyone who's played both though can tell there's a clear quality difference. Agile are at best production Epiphone quality, but cheaper - Tokai are at best standard Gibson production quality, on average are Epiphone Elitist quality, and at worst are Epi production quality.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
im just gunna stick with getting a tokai then!

thanks for all your advice

what model tokai do you think i should go for then, im still not sure about the agathis bodyy?

Gear:
-Tokai Les Paul Custom w/ Seymour Duncan Custom Custom & Pearly Gates
-Westfield B200
-Ibanez GRG170DXL

-VOX AD30VT
-Fender MD-20
-Marshall MG15DFX

Dunlop Cry Baby
-Digitech RP70
Quote by MrFlibble

People on here have a hard-on for Agiles because they're slightly easier to get hold of in America than Tokai are, so simply more people have them. Anyone who's played both though can tell there's a clear quality difference. Agile are at best production Epiphone quality, but cheaper - Tokai are at best standard Gibson production quality, on average are Epiphone Elitist quality, and at worst are Epi production quality.

that's what i'd have thought (though i haven't tried an agile).

and certainly, with tokai, the "at worst, epi production quality" is only if you get a non-japanese-built one. If you get a japanese one, it should be a pro quality instrument, unless you're incredibly unlucky.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Felgate
what model tokai do you think i should go for then, im still not sure about the agathis bodyy?

a japanese one. EDIT: what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agathis is a great tone wood if it's a good cut. People generalize agathis as bad because they've only played it on cheap beginner guitars. It is like alder when it is a good cut.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's what i'd have thought (though i haven't tried an agile).

and certainly, with tokai, the "at worst, epi production quality" is only if you get a non-japanese-built one. If you get a japanese one, it should be a pro quality instrument, unless you're incredibly unlucky.

On the other hand, the superior Customer Service from Rondo is a huge factor. Granted you won't mistake it for a Gibson or a MIJ copy, the price, availability, and the Customer Service are huge pluses. I've had my AL-3000M for about 2 years or so and it's been rock-solid.

Quote by SupremeACL
Agathis is a great tone wood if it's a good cut. People generalize agathis as bad because they've only played it on cheap beginner guitars. It is like alder when it is a good cut.

Thing is, on cheap guitars, it's never a good cut. period.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MrFlibble

Sorry to say but you're full of it dude...

Have you actually compared an Agile to an Epiphone? Have you even played an Agile AND a Tokai? It sounds like you're just talking about something you have no experience with.

People have a "hard-on" for Agiles because of the quality, price and customer service. It has nothing to do with how easy they are to get... If I really want to GET any guitar in those price ranges, I can. That's a stupid reason to list...

Agile at best are Gibson quality or better guitars. Go do a comparison, side by side. Gibson and Epiphone both have come way down in quality over the last few years and Agile is actually up there with Gibson now and above and beyond Ephiphone. Gibson and Epiphone's customer service is some of the worst available and their QC is horrible. You might get a solid epiphone one day and then pick up the same model the next day and it's practically falling apart. Agile's customer service is insane. In fact, it's the best customer service for any business I've ever dealt with.

Seriously... you shouldn't post drivel like this. Agiles are far and away better than any Epiphone I've ever played. I'd say they're on par with the GOOD Tokais.
Ibanez ARC300DVS plugged into a Valve Jr. with a 1x12 custom Ear Candy cab and a blues driver. (Too many guitars to list.)

My Soundclick
Not to mention it doesn't sound like he's talking about the good Tokais, and to be honest the Loverocks are way out of his price range if he's considering the Agiles too. For the price of a loverock you could mod out the hadware and electronics on at least 2 AL-3000s to be solid workhorses that would last you for QUITE a while.
this is why you go used when buying a high end tokai, if you can find one, i bought mine used and it was almost in mint condition for 400 CDN, otherwise if i bought my model new, it wouldve cost me around 1200 CDN + s/h + customs etc, so pretty much a handful of money, thats why used is a good decision sometimes.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by Ippon

On the other hand, the superior Customer Service from Rondo is a huge factor. Granted you won't mistake it for a Gibson or a MIJ copy, the price, availability, and the Customer Service are huge pluses. I've had my AL-3000M for about 2 years or so and it's been rock-solid.

i wasn't slagging off agiles; i just meant that if it were a straight choice, most would probably pick the tokai.

but obviously the price differential etc. makes it a harder choice (especially if you're in the USA); here in the UK/Europe, customs and postage would likely erode most of the savings from buying the agile...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wasn't slagging off agiles; i just meant that if it were a straight choice, most would probably pick the tokai.

but obviously the price differential etc. makes it a harder choice (especially if you're in the USA); here in the UK/Europe, customs and postage would likely erode most of the savings from buying the agile...

I knew that ... just trying the Libra thingy about "balance".

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?