I have a esp ltd-1000.i was very happy with it....while i was playing metal but now....i dont want to play metal i wanna play rock and blues .so i decided to sell the guitar.....but i was wondering. can i do anything to make this guitar more universal or more......something.now i love to listen to jj cale ,jimi hendrix, led zeppelin, rory gallagher..........i guess you know what im talking about....help
what ltd-1000? EC? MH? M?
you could always swap the pickups in it. are the stock pickups EMGs?

for a pickup change, i recommend some PAF style pickups. Duncan Custom 5/59 set would do.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Last edited by leviticus_22953 at Jul 26, 2008,
if you like the playability, then for rock, blues you could drop in some vintage output humbuckers or p90's. or you could sell and buy a decent strat.
Quote by thisdude
if you like the playability, then for rock, blues you could drop in some vintage output humbuckers or p90's. or you could sell and buy a decent strat.

p90s is a lot of work for a guitar that doesn't already have em!

stick with what the first guy suggested. Duncan 59s are a solid choice. You will probably be happy with most passive Duncans. if you check out their website, it is EXTREMELY helpful when selecting a pickup that caters to a certain sonic quality.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
go with the pearly gates or the 59 both from seymour duncan
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
well if you will sometimes be still playing metal, aswell as rock and blues, i recommend the dimarzio tone zone/paf pro combo.
its a esp ltd m-1000.I wonder if there is a humbucker that can sound bell-alike,i mean like a fender strat pickup.i am totaly disgusted by steril sounds that came out from the emg´s.so i want kind of more natural sounding pickup if you can understand what iam talking about
Quote by MANTAJAZZ
its a esp ltd m-1000.I wonder if there is a humbucker that can sound bell-alike,i mean like a fender strat pickup.i am totaly disgusted by steril sounds that came out from the emg´s.so i want kind of more natural sounding pickup if you can understand what iam talking about

Try the 18V mod first!
Quote by MANTAJAZZ
i really want to get rid off emg´s

then you're very arrogant. try the 18V mod and spend £2 instead of £200on a brand new set of bare knuckles, me thinks your sterile sound is from your amp more than anything as emg's are great for blues, just turn the gain down a tad and don't keep your mids at 0.
Quote by metallica92
then you're very arrogant. try the 18V mod and spend £2 instead of £200on a brand new set of bare knuckles, me thinks your sterile sound is from your amp more than anything as emg's are great for blues, just turn the gain down a tad and don't keep your mids at 0.

+1

EMGs are incredibly versatile, but you need to learn how to use them properly. The versatility increases considerably, if you perform the 18V mod - more headroom, and a more 'organic' character to the pickups.
definitely change the pickups, unless the pickups you have in mind are more expensive then your net loss if you were to sell your guitar and buy a new one, but that would depend on which guitar your getting. in most cases, id reccomend switching out the pickups (definitely go for seymour duncan pickups). but, if you have some extra cash, just go buy another guitar, so if you have have a craving for playing metal, youll still have your good old esp.

best wishes
i appriciate the opinions but i dont like the tone.the steril sound mainly does come from my amp becouse the amp is a 15 watt marshall but when i plug in another guitar with passive pickups it still sounds much much more natural than emg. i think i have found what i wanted.but i wanna know what you think about putting two seymour duncan 59 pickups.can it handle for example ,hard rock van halen sound. p.s. thanks for the replyies everyone.
Last edited by MANTAJAZZ at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by MANTAJAZZ
i appriciate the opinions but i dont like the tone.the steril sound mainly does come from my amp becouse the amp is a 15 watt marshall but when i plug in another guitar with passive pickups it still sounds much much more natural than emg. i think i have found what i wanted.but i wanna know what you think about putting two seymour duncan 59 pickups.can it handle for example ,hard rock van halen sound. p.s. thanks for the replyies everyone.

Is it perhaps... a Marshall MG? Because if so, that might be a bigger problem than your pickups.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
I would suggest putting the action higher, put more springs in the tremolo if it has one etc...
marshall mg is my practice amp.i find it non-reliable to rate a guitar on some super amp.
im thinking two seimour duncans 59,but im not sure yet.i kinda like the tone with "personality" thats why i dislike EMG´s :-).
and i would like to know if it is a problem changing from active to passive pickups....not that ill try to do it myself ofcourse :-)
keep your stock emg neck pickup, which i assume is either an 85 or a 60. Replace your bridge 81 with an 89, which will give you that coil tap option for the bridge. and run it all at 18v. AMAZINGLY versatile set up.
Originally Posted by twistudriffer
I'll trade you your derrick clapton and jimmy hendrick signed squire for my bass signed by jesus and spiderman. its a fair trade really
Quote by rjmck4883
keep your stock emg neck pickup, which i assume is either an 85 or a 60. Replace your bridge 81 with an 89, which will give you that coil tap option for the bridge. and run it all at 18v. AMAZINGLY versatile set up.

yeah well....the neck pickup is an 81 not 85.......so its not really worth buying two new emg´s...at least i dont plan to do so.even thou i beliave that setup would be more versatile.
Dude, you're asking for advice and not taking any of it in.
Mint sauce knows quite alot about EMGs and honestly, what do you have to lose by performing the 18v mod?
If you don't like it, sell the pickups afterwards.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Wait, slow down.

So, you're judging high output, low impedance, active pickups, which are designed to overdrive the preamp section of a tube amp.. based on their performance with a solidstate? I'm sorry, but the sterile sound you're getting is obviously because of your amp, and I imagine that it's clipping pretty badly, too.

If you're going to take no advice, and not put the EMGs through their paces with a real amp, then I think that this thread is ultimately pointless.
^ PLUS ****ING ONE.

You said earlier that you appreciated all of the opinions... well obviously not enough to try them.

I don't think you realize how much the 18v mod and a decent tube amp would improve your tone.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
i did try the 18v mod and i dont like it its simpe as that.i do own a tube amp.i dont judge anything but i do not plan to keep the emg´s in my guitar its simpe as that.thanks for the advice but i did the 18v and i do own a tube amp.i just said that i test guitars on low quality amp.afterall, its why i opened this topic to have some opinions on which pickup i should try.
firstly an MG is not a tube amp.

secondly, good pickups + bad amp = shows how bad your amp is and crap pickups + bad amp = doesnt seem AS bad.

and thirdly EMG's boast tone. if you don't think so i suggest you ask metallica, slayer and most other bands which end up using them. sterile my arse.
goddam some people just dont listen.here is a example.. i plug in a copy of les paul to my SECOND the practice amp which is a marshall 15 watt NON-TUBE amp (yes i know it is not a tube amp) and it sound much better with some no-name pickups.it just suits me better thats it.just a few people really helped me the rest attacked me becouse i think that emg is strile **** computer cyborg buzzsaw sound.yes a buzzsaw thats exactly what i want to avoid with new pickups....these are just my oppinions dont get mad at me,maybe they dont sound like buzzsaw to some people i dont know
Quote by MANTAJAZZ
goddam some people just dont listen.here is a example.. i plug in a copy of les paul to my SECOND the practice amp which is a marshall 15 watt NON-TUBE amp (yes i know it is not a tube amp) and it sound much better with some no-name pickups.it just suits me better thats it.just a few people really helped me the rest attacked me becouse i think that emg is strile **** computer cyborg buzzsaw sound.yes a buzzsaw thats exactly what i want to avoid with new pickups....these are just my oppinions dont get mad at me,maybe they dont sound like buzzsaw to some people i dont know

I suggest rolling your volume control back a few notches, to prevent your MG clipping.
lol your gunna send him over the edge... .I suggest we just leave him be before he starts strangling puppies....
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
If you but too high out put pickups in a small practise amp then there is not really a clean sound at all as it pushes it too much so a better amp will definatly be a better idea it affects the tone in many more ways than pickups will do. You will be much happier with the tone as well.
Quote by Invader Jim
Well, opinions are like assholes...

Quote by LP Addict
they excrete feces, playing a vital role in the digestion system?

lol
just get a new amp. tube amp. 18v mod. if u still dont like it, the get pups.

EMGs will NOT sound good through a solid state, especially an MG. they are meant to drive tube amps.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking