My Edwards weights over 11 lbs (5kg) while my Vintage only 9lbs.
Both guitar have the same body thickness and both are mahogany so it must be something with the mahogany type used in the production.
I've also been wondering for a while if heavier wood gives better sustains or not because I'm quite sure my Edwards does. But that might be because it has that long-neck tenons.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I don't know, but I believe that heavier wood gives you a "heavier" tone, but I've never heard of it improving sustain ..
maybe compare the pickup cavity and control cavity sizes. also the hardware might have different weight. also the top wood.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
that's strange, my edwards is reasonably light (for a les paul). I think lighter mahogany is more expensive. but there are different species of mahogany which can muddy the waters a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
actually i think its the opposite because my epiphone is lighter than gibsons so that must mean heavy wood is more expensive(just a wild guess)