Hey!
I'm gonna be buying the wood for my guitar project this week, so i called up the timber merchants and they only have the wood i want but 1/2" thicker in depth

BTW i'm gonna get Ash or Alder, even though ash produces a bright sound which i don't particularly want, but considering my budget..

I want to know if a belt sander would sand off that much, being 1/2", of wood, without damaging the wood or stuff? I've heard belt sanderstake off a lot of wood, very quickly, but how much wood?

thanks!
any other info / tips are OK
I'm not stubborn...just very annoyingly persistent
I went and spoke to a local joiner/carpentry place, and they thicknessed my body blank on a planer for a small fee.

Maybe ring around and find out how much it would cost to get it thicknessed?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
I went and spoke to a local joiner/carpentry place, and they thicknessed my body blank on a planer for a small fee.

Maybe ring around and find out how much it would cost to get it thicknessed?

+1

I've had the same done. The dude thicknessed a 50mm headstock blank to 14mm for me, for a cup of tea.
ya dumbass dont use a belt sander
thats stupid
take it to a shop and theyll do it right

god what a dumb question
^ Why so much hate?

Beltsanders can take off a lot of wood fast, but 1/2 inch would still take a long time and be very difficult to keep level. If you don't have a planar, take it to a pro.
cool, cool just the info i needed, i wonder who'll do it for me though.
Also, what does anyone prefer, ash or alder?

u know what, forget this question, i'm only gonna get harrassed with things like " idiot, it's what u like" and "they're both pretty s***" which is half slighty true, i just got bored ok.

i want something with a fatter, or warmer tone, not too bright. or somethin with a good balance of both
Last edited by christie_goes at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by christie_goes
cool, cool just the info i needed, i wonder who'll do it for me though.
Also, what does anyone prefer, ash or alder?

Go old school and use Ash! Also, if you decide to go with a Natural finish, the grain would be more attractive.

hey! it's lppon i saw you in a few other posts : ]
seal ash before finishing it - i didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know
Quote by christie_goes
seal ash before finishing it - i didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know

You should use a sanding sealer or grain filler on most wood before finishing anyway, otherwise you'll never get a smooth enough surface for painting.