I'm thinking of making my own effects pedal when I go back to uni this year as it's cheaper and more fun than buying one. The onboard work seems simple enough to me but I see all this stuff about building the bypass and am wondering how that fits into the schematics.

I see In, Out and Ground on all the schematics but not sure where the bypass goes. Checked out the offboard wiring project on tonepad too but there's so much choice!

So just any general tips and links would be great.
I assume you are talking about a hardwire bypass (not a buffer). It's what it sounds like. You use a DPDT (or 3pdt if you are integrating an LED) to route the signal directly from input to output. I can be best to have a buffered pedal in the front of your chain though to prevent popping sounds when you switch true-bypass pedals on or off.

Bottom-right diagram for 3PDT True-bypass wiring.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Last edited by asfastasdark at Jul 26, 2008,
This is great, thanks guys. So I should definitely build a buffered pedal to put at the front of the chain?
Quote by Vixus
Yeah, I've been reading http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/bypass/bypass.htm ..
It says a pull down resistor goes at the outermost end of the input and output DC blocking capacitors. I don't see these capacitors on any offboard wiring schematics so are they on the effects board?

Yep, a lot of people squeeze them onto the PCB, before the dry output.
the 3PDT switch in that diagram is missing a wire. there should be one frome the right-hand corner to the bottem-middle
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box
EHX Pulsar
Boss DD-6
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by NOtrab
the 3PDT switch in that diagram is missing a wire. there should be one frome the right-hand corner to the bottem-middle

No, that would ground the output.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Oh ok
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9
EHX Big Muff Pi
Companion Fuzz Box