Just moved to a new area, and I'm getting new lessons.

This is the first guitar teacher I have had that really promotes playing your own music vs playing someone else's.

I have had 2 teachers in the past, and both were on the page of "what song do you want to learn"

Now who doesn't want to be able to shred and play their own music. But I'm 28 y/o and have only been playing two years.

Some of the stuff my new teacher goes over, I feel is pretty fast, and i'm not sure im picking it all up. Basically im gonna start focusing on scales more and moving up and down the neck.

Right now, i can play some easy songs, some acdc, zz top, ect...

I really do want to be able to play my own stuff, but I also want to be able to play songs.

Im not confident that I'll be able to write my own stuff -

so my question is,is 28 too late; should i just enjoy learning songs and playing them, or give this a shot and see where I am in 6 months....

Just wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone was in a similar spot before-

thx,

Boyd
It's never too late to play guitar or any other instrument! And you should do both, learn other people's songs and make some up/improvise.

Whatever floats your boat really.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
not many guitar players get famous...so don't count on it...just learn what you want to learn and have fun.
How bout' no you crazy Dutch Bastard!

You live in the middle of nowhere? THEN BLOW **** UP!

Pretty Heavy and thick??...Sounds like a wasp fucking an Exhaust pipe...Its Rubbish!
Quote by boyd98
should i just enjoy learning songs and playing them, or give this a shot and see where I am in 6 months....

There you go, if you think it's too hard than stick with playing stuff that's already been made. It's much harder to write songs than to play them (usually).
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
if the teacher is going to fast tell him to slow down. he's probably not noticing how quickly he's going through things. just say like "wait what was that last thing you showed me?" and then as a teacher he'll be obligued to go back and slower for you