I have a New Randall RG50TC, but it sounds nothing like the sound clips and reviews I've watched and heard elsewhere. In the back there is a 12AT7 preamp tube that does not light up like the others....this is probably the culprit for my sound troubles right?

Also, when I turn on my delay through the effects loop it makes a fuzz when I start playing higher range notes.

Any suggestions, comments or additional considerations?

thx,
Andy
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
Sound clips are pretty much worthless many times way to many variables. And it is part of advertising so you know they are going to tweak things a little or alot. They give you a rough comparison. Ive read the speaker used in the randalls isnt the best and makes a huge difference if changed.
Well, when I say sound clips I'm talking about youtube mostly, I know not the greatest sound recording quality to begin with, but many noted that they were plugged directly into the amp and not relying on any additional effects.

So your saying a broken preamp tube has nothing to do with it (sarcasm)? ......
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
^I'm pretty sure if the tube isn't lighting up, it's duffed. Go change, should make everything much better.

To make sure, you're better off moving this thread to GG&A forum which has more amp-orientated discussions.
Now that's a useful reply! Yeah I didn't know where this question fit in best.

ltz,
Andy
Quote by ReefTECK
Now that's a useful reply! Yeah I didn't know where this question fit in best.

ltz,
Andy

No problemo.

I've looked up this problem for a friend of mine, I just used the search bar.
I don't think that's the case at all. The tubes don't by any means have to 'light up' equally, that AT7 is probably the phase inverter.

It probably sound crap because you're playing it at lower volumes. Crank it up and it'll sound a lot better
Yeah....tried that...no, still sounds like **** at high volume.

And yeah, that is a phase inverter, but it doesn't light up AT ALL. so is it worth a shot or what?