Background: I've been playing violin for 5 years and have recently switched over to guitar. I've been playing for about 2 months and have a few questions. My boyfriend has been teaching me and I've been going through a book also. I have an old, tiny acoustic that I've been learning on and might switch over to electric sometime soon. I already took a music theory class, but I've yet to start applying what I know from that to the guitar. I'm currently working on alternate picking, memorizing chords, learning a few songs.

Questions: What should I already know? What should I be focusing on? Where should I go from here?
you should learn how to hold a pick (unless you are going to use your fingers)
and you should start learning basic open chords such as D, G, E, A and so on
and yo should also learn to read tabs
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by akm_202
you should learn how to hold a pick (unless you are going to use your fingers)
and you should start learning basic open chords such as D, G, E, A and so on
and yo should also learn to read tabs

I already know those things. I've gone on to 7th chords and barre chords.
Things to watch:
Where are you picking from?(should be only the wrist moving)
Are you hitting everything you play cleanly? (No fret buzz, etc)
Are you enjoying it?

Probably not much help; all I really have to give advice-wise is that people progress at different speeds, so you shouldn't "already know" anything inherently. But it appears to me that you're on the right track.

Do you improvise (mess around, vitally) often? Sooner you start doing that, the sooner you'll progress on the song-writing front. And get that theory onto the guitar; it's no use if you can't apply it. Try writing some stuff using simple chords (doublestops and power chords) in the major/minor natural scales.

You mentioned that your present guitar is "tiny". As in a kids' guitar? If so, it's going to mess you up when you get a full-size one; fret lengths and so on are all bigger. So try to get a full-size one ASAP.