Out of interest, how do people go about tabbing/playing a band like slipknot?

Do you constantly have a guitar in drop A or B because to me that seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle unless you write music that is similar.

I have a guitar in D, one in E and one in C, with thicker strings on C.
To me it seems like effort to get to A.
Quote by frnzd
Out of interest, how do people go about tabbing/playing a band like slipknot?

Do you constantly have a guitar in drop A or B because to me that seems like a lot of unnecessary hassle unless you write music that is similar.

I have a guitar in D, one in E and one in C, with thicker strings on C.
To me it seems like effort to get to A.

It seems like effort to type in so many unnecessary letters.
so your saying that because you dont have enough guitars to cover every tuning, its not a legit tuning?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
i have a guitar in standard and one in drop c i use that for drop d songs and drop b songs. and some people like drop tunings, you know what is a hassle? music shops have all their guitars in standard so its a pain if you wanna try something with a floyd
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
Last edited by mrbungle50221 at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
so your saying that because you dont have enough guitars to cover every tuning, its not a legit tuning?

What he is saying is that it is a very uncommon tuning, and that if you were to tab out songs played in these tunings, it would be very uncomfortable to tune all the way down to Drop A and such just to tab one song, unless you usually tune your guitar that low, in which case it is still a lot of effort to tune that low in the first place.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx

What? why would i say that? I was just asking if people keep guitars in these tunings, rather than change every time because it seems so much effort, especially if u have strings that could go slack.

What soulflyV said.
usually ill tab it in drop c or b then transpose because im lazy but im sure a majority of people just tune down and back up.
i have a floyd so its kind of a big no for me
well i have 12s on my drop c guitars one has a floyd so it stays in drop c! and it takes like 5 mins to tune a guitar without a floyd so stop being lazy!
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
my bad

i only have guitar and i keep 11-12s and i can go from standard to drop A without that much wibble wabble.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by mrbungle50221
i have a guitar in standard and one in drop c i use that for drop d songs and drop b songs. and some people like drop tunings, you know what is a hassle? music shops have all their guitars in standard so its a pain if you wanna try something with a floyd

Psh, if you get a warranty with your guitar you can get a free setup, as long as it's a good music store theyll do a good job. I had to pay 70 damn dollars to get a good set-up on my 7-string cos the store with the warranty fucked it up 3 times.

To the TS, some people keep their guitars in that tuning, some constantly change the tunings and some just use a program like guitar pro. If you have a floating trem on your guitar you need it set-up to that tuning.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Psh, if you get a warranty with your guitar you can get a free setup, as long as it's a good music store theyll do a good job. I had to pay 70 damn dollars to get a good set-up on my 7-string cos the store with the warranty fucked it up 3 times.

i set up my guitars my self, im quite handy with tools, also means i can get everything how i want it
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
You don't really need a guitar in hand to tab something out.

Some people just fool around with programs like GuitarPro or Powertab Editor.

If you know what tuning the song is in, all you really have to do is be able to identify intervals.
Well my main guitar has a floyd so its annoying for me.
Quote by mrbungle50221
i set up my guitars my self, im quite handy with tools, also means i can get everything how i want it

I can't be bothered
It just takes so damn long to set up a floating trem, and i'm not good at it. Plus when you set up a floating trem properly you need to adjust a bunch of other things.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
I can't be bothered
It just takes so damn long to set up a floating trem, and i'm not good at it. Plus when you set up a floating trem properly you need to adjust a bunch of other things.

doesnt take that long for me, plus its kinda fun! al though ****ing dumbasses just start twisting the machine heads when its locked in....SNAP.i refused to put out for her that night cos of that!
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by dann_blood
I can't be bothered

I think it's better to learn how to do it sooner rather than later - or never at all.

It does take a while trying to balance the action, tension, and tuning, but you get better at it.
Quote by mrbungle50221
doesnt take that long for me, plus its kinda fun! al though ****ing dumbasses just start twisting the machine heads when its locked in....SNAP.i refused to put out for her that night cos of that!

I tried a few times and got it level, but it took way to long. I think it takes longer than it should because I don't have the right size screwdriver. Really, out of a whole set of them the only one thats missing is the one I need to adjust the floating trem.

Oh, and I think I let out a little whimper/gasp when I read "put out for her that night".

Quote by Archaon
I think it's better to learn how to do it sooner rather than later - or never at all.

It does take a while trying to balance the action, tension, and tuning, but you get better at it.

Yeah, I need to either find a really thorough guide or get someone to show me. And it's different for different types of guitars as well. The set-up I just got done on my 7-string is great though, 9-56 gauge strings, probably the best action i've had on one of my guitars, floating trem is perfectly flush.
Oh well, next time
Quote by Vornik
look into transcribe or a similar program, it allows yout o change the pitch of the song without effecting the speed or vice versa so you can just tune the song up to C and play it liek that
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
yeah you really need the right screwdriver cos you risk rounding off the screw and then you are ****ed, and yes i use sex as a weapon, im kinky like that....
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Quote by mrbungle50221
yeah you really need the right screwdriver cos you risk rounding off the screw and then you are ****ed, and yes i use sex as a weapon, im kinky like that....

I think I did a little bit of damage to the screw, but it's in the same condition as before. Just flattened the top a little bit.
I'd use sex as a weapon, but I don't think it'd work too well. That and i've hit a damn dry-spell.
Quote by Vornik