Hey guys, does a Noise gate belong in the effects loop, or in the direct signal to the amp?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Direct signal.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Try it in both - different people find different positions better.

/euphemism
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Actually, where are you putting your distortion/overdrives? If you have them in the direct signal, yes, keep the noise gate in the direct signal as well, but if you have the distortion/overdrive in your loop, you might want to try putting your noise gate in there as well.
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
It can go either way. You need to figure out whether your noise problem is a result of the guitar or a result of the preamp. Also if you clean up the dry guitar signal, the noise won't be amplified. If you clean up the signal after the preamp, you will be amplifying the guitar noise and might require a higher threshold on the noise gate, which could start to color your tone. Probably the best idea is to run something like the ISP Decimator ProRackG which is a 2 channel unit that sits both in front of the amp and in the loop while tracking the signal from one to the other. The downside is it's cost prohibitive and it's a rackmount unit which makes it difficult to bypass if you aren't using a rack rig. The closest option is the Decimator G String which is a single channel pedal that also sits both in front of the amp and in the loop but puts the noise reduction in the loop and tracks the dry guitar signal as a reference.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Try both. There's no definite answer to that, it depends on what works for you. In front of amp works for some people, effects loop for others.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well its only when i overdrive my amp with a screamer or something so im gonna keep it in direct signal

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker