hello, was wondering what changing strings on these is like? See I was thinking about saving for the ibanez rg1570 but the floyd rose scares me a bit, and i am really liking the look of the pacifica range especially the 812v but once again the tremolo confuses me a bit. It doesnt look as complex as the fr on the rg though. Is changing strings on the pacifica the same as it would be on a normal hardtail? and is there any special things it would require? thanks for ya time
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
no idea, but i think they have locking tuners which should simplify things a little. it should be a bit easier than a floyd, at least.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well like i say i have no idea about either, i have just heard that restringing and tuning guitars with a floyd rose can be a pain and i dont really need one. I do like the pacifica and just wanted to know if that would be as bad or not, so thanks for the reply
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
no one else know? just want to know if changing the strings will be the same as it is on mu current guitar.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
It should be like any other strat. In other words, changing strings should be quite easy.

Edit: oh u have a rg 321...Yes it should be almost the same as a hardtail
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Quote by RoamingConflict
It should be like any other strat. In other words, changing strings should be quite easy.

Edit: oh u have a rg 321...Yes it should be almost the same as a hardtail

okay sweet, i didnt know if would be complicated cos i heard that floyd roses are, thats what is putting me off the rg1570. Il see how much i can save, I only have a couple of hundred lined up atm anyway so it will take me a bit of time. I would like a amp and stuff as well so I have a lot of time.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Dont worry m8, those yamaha trems are nothing like a floyd rose. They COULD cause some tuning problems, but with the locking tuners thats not the issue!
Quote by stinger12345
Quote by RoamingConflict
Dont worry m8, those yamaha trems are nothing like a floyd rose. They COULD cause some tuning problems, but with the locking tuners thats not the issue!

okay so basically if i get the pacifica i will be problem free, a guy i know was telling me that he can block the floyd rose on the rg or something so that its easier to put on strings and stuff, any idea what he means cos im not too sure. And will i still be able to use it if he does this?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by lwayneio
okay so basically if i get the pacifica i will be problem free, a guy i know was telling me that he can block the floyd rose on the rg or something so that its easier to put on strings and stuff, any idea what he means cos im not too sure. And will i still be able to use it if he does this?

You wont be able to use it anymore if he blocks it. I dont see any point in buying a guitar with a trem if you are not going to use it.
But the trem on that ibanez rg1570 is an edge pro so it should be nice quality. Now...im not a floyd rose guy, i dont like them. I dont like the whole string changing process. But if you are going to keep your guitar in one tuning and your going to use that floyd daily... It just may be worth the whole hassle.
Quote by stinger12345
see he said that i will still be able to "dive bomb as much as i want" as he puts it lol. He said he would put a piece of resonating wood in or something. but maybe not...hmmm im confused now. maybe i should just go with the pacifica.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
it depends how you block it.

i'm with roaming, though, i wouldn't bother... if you're going to use a floyd, why would you block it, and if you aren't, why are you buying a guitar with a floyd? it just doesn't make much sense if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
fair enough i see your point, this guitar luthier i know said that he does it to his own guitars and stuff and it just makes them much easier to use but fair enough. I am quite liking the pacifica anyway, i would probably go for the 612v because its alot cheaper and there arent too many differences. I like listening to dream theater and opeth atm do you think it would manage that type of music or should i look elsewhere?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
well, it depends how you block it, and what you use it for. certainly if you don't need up-pull on a floyd, and only need down-bend, it does make things a lot easier.

the pacifica should handle that music fine. just make sure you try both the 612 and 812, though- just because they appear similar on paper, doesn't mean they are similar, they may not play identically (or they may).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeh fair enough, what do you suggest i get to achieve that kind of tone? I was thinking maybe a boss me-50 and im not too sure about the amp I have a microcube atm which does me okay but if i can save up enough I might as well upgrade, right? There are often good deals on laney vc30's on ebay would that be good? or would a ss be better at bedroom level? maybe a line 6 flextone? might get a line 6 toneport as well they seem quite cheap and an easy way to record. cheers dude
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
bump, just want to know what people thing of the proposed set ups. thanks
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
That Laney is supposed to be all tube amp so id say go for it. Ive heard some good things about them. Bu it may be quite loud for a bedroom since its 30 watts ( thats enough for gigging! ) so yeah... You may want to buy a SS amp for bedroom practising, there are some nice ss amps out there...But if you CAN go tube then by all means do it. Try to look for some small tube combos like blackheart little giant. I would have bought something like that if i could've.
Quote by stinger12345
Quote by RoamingConflict
That Laney is supposed to be all tube amp so id say go for it. Ive heard some good things about them. Bu it may be quite loud for a bedroom since its 30 watts ( thats enough for gigging! ) so yeah... You may want to buy a SS amp for bedroom practising, there are some nice ss amps out there...But if you CAN go tube then by all means do it. Try to look for some small tube combos like blackheart little giant. I would have bought something like that if i could've.

I really want something for versatility so is able to do a nice blue, jazz and clean tone but can also do some good rock and metal which i know is asking a lot which is why i put the line 6 flextone on the list as i hear thats pretty versatile, but yeh the laney will sound nicer i guess, going to be quite loud for my bedroom though i bet but at least i wouldnt have to replace it if i ever did need something loud. whats about the vc15? would the blackheart work okay with the boss me-50 to get some good tones?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Blackheart is all tube and its like 5 watts so its still pretty loud but perfect for bedroom. Vc15? It should be great too, but remember that tube amps sound best when cranked up. Just think about what you need, if you are not gigging then you dont really need a 30 watt tube amp. And about that boss pedal... I dont really know a lot about it, maybe create another topic on pedals and specify what do you really want.
Quote by stinger12345
the big problem is that few of the cheaper, lower wattage tube amps are aimed at metal. that laney would be perfect for your clean stuff, blues and classic rock, but it won't do modern metal without some serious help (pretty much a high gain overdrive, maybe even distortion pedal).

EDIT: you'd need to try the laney with some pedals, and then try a flextone, to see what does what you want better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to what Dave said.

If you are looking for a cheap tube amp that can do metal, look at the Ibanez valbee. It sure is nothing compared to a 100w stack, but it nails modern tones pretty well for it's size. Don't expect to much in the clean department from it though. The sound is not bad, but there's only so much headroom a 5w combo can give you.
valbee's bound to be worth a look, yeah. i've never been able to try it, so i always forget about it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think the flextone would be best for me at bedroom level. I dont anything to drastic in terms of metal, just like an opeth, dream theater kinda tone, i really like the lead tones that they have so i would wantt something similar. I would really like to play some steve vai stuff as well. maybe the boss gt-8 and a flextone? il have a look at music shop sites and see whats in the price range that looks any good.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
You don't really need a stomp box together with that amp, it has enough gain already. On the other hand, just try it out and see what works for you.
this guy is using the vc30 (although i would probably get the 15 version) and a boss me-50 and he gets a pretty good lead tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71lDvbcYlQA so maybe that would work out okay. depends how much i save, the flextone and the laney vc are actually quite close in price on ebay deals. but new the vc15 is £200 and the flextone III is £275 (not the plus or xl version which are more).
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Quote by TheQuailman
You don't really need a stomp box together with that amp, it has enough gain already. On the other hand, just try it out and see what works for you.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman

okay, i know nothing about this stuff ya see. I just go by what people use on youtube videos i like, and a lot of people with nice petrucci and vai tones seem to use boss gt-6/8s. would a 10 band eq be a good idea?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
i'd have only thought you needed that if the amp didn't do the tone you wanted out of the box. a lot of people get pedals because they bought the wrong amp in the first place (or, granted, bought the closest amp they could for their budget), and then they have to persuade the amp to do what they want with pedals.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd have only thought you needed that if the amp didn't do the tone you wanted out of the box. a lot of people get pedals because they bought the wrong amp in the first place (or, granted, bought the closest amp they could for their budget), and then they have to persuade the amp to do what they want with pedals.

oh really? okay fair enough, il keep doing research anyway i quite enjoy learning about all the different hardware.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
yeah, more or less. of course, they're always the third option that such-and-such an amp sounds perfect with a certain pedal...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, more or less. of course, they're always the third option that such-and-such an amp sounds perfect with a certain pedal...

yeh lol, theres so much choice its hard to figure out, i want a new guitar first anyway so thats my main concern, the buzz on this one is driving me mad and i want something i can really love.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
bump, sorry but i have another question and dont see the point in a whole new thread. Do you think a boss gt8 or boss me50 would work with my microcube? as i might get that first to see if i can improve my current amps tone. im not even sure that the microcube can use pedals? it has an aux in and a headphone/mic in would it work in the aux in?
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
it'll work, just whether or not it sounds much better than what you already have is the problem (or sufficiently better to justify its expense).

also, i'd just plug it in-between your guitar and the input. I don't know if it'd work in the aux in, i doubt it would.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it'll work, just whether or not it sounds much better than what you already have is the problem (or sufficiently better to justify its expense).

also, i'd just plug it in-between your guitar and the input. I don't know if it'd work in the aux in, i doubt it would.

aw right okay, sorry im a noob and didnt understand where you put these things. yeh into the input does make sense yeh I doubt it will sound much better but they go pretty cheap on ebay (well the me-50 does anyway) or maybe a line 6 toneport. I have my eye on a few guitars on ebay atm so i might be able to loan the money to get one if the right deal emerges.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube