I've started writing my own music, and I've written four or five songs (guitar, lyrics, bass) and I've decided to get something to record music.

I've made the decision of getting a macbook (for school) and I was wondering if anybody knew how good the built in microphone is? How useful is Garageband? If they both suck, then what is a CHEAP (a little short on cash at the moment) replacement USB microphone or sound editing/mixing software?

THX.

Sorry if this is in wrong thread.
IMAGINE.
Garageband is just fine for your purposes. Good interface, easy to use, etc.

The built-in mic for all computers is pretty shitty. If you want good sound, you're going to have to buy an AD card with mic or at least 1/4" inputs. Google it!
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
Garageband is just fine for your purposes. Good interface, easy to use, etc.

The built-in mic for all computers is pretty shitty. If you want good sound, you're going to have to buy an AD card with mic or at least 1/4" inputs. Google it!

I've heard garageband is pretty good (never used it though) but i really think you'll need to buy your own mic. I recommend getting the Shure SM57 since it's good for micing up amps and will still sound decent when used for vocals.

EDIT: post your gear and exactly how you wanna record (amp output, mic?) so we can help you out more.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
I've heard garageband is pretty good (never used it though) but i really think you'll need to buy your own mic. I recommend getting the Shure SM57 since it's good for micing up amps and will still sound decent when used for vocals.

EDIT: post your gear and exactly how you wanna record (amp output, mic?) so we can help you out more.

Yeah, I saw a few Shure products that looked like a maybe.

My gear? Well for recording, I have an acoustic Walden guitar, and an acoustic/electric Firefly Bass.

I play mostly acoustic stuff... I have two amps that I never use though.. one's a ****ty fender and the others the Roland Microcube, i think.
IMAGINE.
You need a condenser mic if you want to record vocals/acoustic

I recommend the Samson Co3, i have it and it is great, especially for the price i paid of £30

I think they also make a usb version, which may also be worth a look