I'm thinking about getting a Ceriatone 18 watt head. Somebody recommended that I get Metropoulos instead. How much of a difference is there in the two brands? Is Metro really that much better?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

The craftsmanship coming from Ceriatone is outstanding. If you go with the Metro, you'll have a whole "made in USA" thing (which really isn't an indicator of anything tonally), but due to slight differences in construction, the voicing may be slightly different.

That said, Ceriatone is certainly a outstanding "bang for the buck" company, and I've never had an issue with any of their products.

Also, if you worship John Mayer, why aren't you considering the Overtone from Ceriatone?
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Metropoulos are great quality, and appear to be better made than Ceriatone. They certainly cost more. One thing you have to realize, is that Metro is using the absolute best parts available. and even though Ceriatone makes a great quality product, not all of their parts are the best quality.

However, as far as i know, Metro does NOT make an 18 watt amp. Whoever told you to go for Metro probably has little experience with them.

EDIT: and Kendall, i dont completely disagree with you. But the bang-for-buck thing doesnt apply to Ceriatone so much.

If you buy a fully completely 18 watt TMB, in a head cab and everything included, your pay 735 + 200 bucks shipping. For that 900 bucks theres a bunch of other boutique clones you can get, you can even find a Rockytop JTM45 for that much.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Last edited by igotabcrich32 at Jul 26, 2008,
I was thinking about the Overtone, but I'm looking for a more british voiced crunch to add to my sound. I've got a Blues Junior so I have my clean tones (even though they're not boutique, they're pretty decent) and I have a TS808 and TS9 so I can add some dirt to my sound. I might get one later on, but right now I'm only fifteen years old so I've still got plenty of time to experiment with new amps and explore my sound. One question though, are the Overtones "invented" by Ceriatone or are they copies of something? I heard somewhere that they were Dumble clones, but I'm not sure.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
I was thinking about the Overtone, but I'm looking for a more british voiced crunch to add to my sound. I've got a Blues Junior so I have my clean tones (even though they're not boutique, they're pretty decent) and I have a TS808 and TS9 so I can add some dirt to my sound. I might get one later on, but right now I'm only fifteen years old so I've still got plenty of time to experiment with new amps and explore my sound. One question though, are the Overtones "invented" by Ceriatone or are they copies of something? I heard somewhere that they were Dumble clones, but I'm not sure.

Yes, the Overtone Special is a copy of a Dumble Overdrive Special.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
How dirty can those go? If I were to get a Keeley Modded DS-1 and the Overtone could I get enough drive for a Van Halen-ish sound? I don't mean full out brown, just something similiar in terms of gain.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

They'll certainly get dirtier than a lot of purists would like to admit, but I can't say that I've ever heard Van Halen-ish tones coming from a Dumble type amp, but then again I can't say that I've ever heard anyone try. It might be worth a shot, at the very least you might come something new and refreshing.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM