I have been wanting to buy a electric guitar for some time now and I have finally been able to spend some money on one. My budget as of now is $530. So fair I have been looking into a MIM Stratocaster with a Roland Microcube. I think this would suit my playing style as I mostly like to play jazz, blues, 80s rock and some indie rock.

If anyone could recommend some other guitars to try that would help alot.
When I first saw 'Decide', I thought you meant 'Deicide', and then choked when I read Stratocaster.

I think I strat would be very adequate for what you intend to play.

An alternative would maybe be an epiphone of sorts?
Hmm..

why don't you look into some semi-hollow body guitars? I think since they're equiped with humbuckers they'll pull off the gain for rock a bit better and are actually used a lot for jazz. As to specific models i can't help you much.

just my opinion though...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
A MIM Tele would work, too. The neck pickup is warm enough to do jazz, the bridge is trebly enough to do indie and can do blues, and can handle enough distortion for 80s stuff. Try one out, they definately have a different feel than a Strat.
Quote by qotsa1998
A MIM Tele would work, too. The neck pickup is warm enough to do jazz, the bridge is trebly enough to do indie and can do blues, and can handle enough distortion for 80s stuff. Try one out, they definately have a different feel than a Strat.

That's true... i have one and love it.

I like teles way better than strats. For some reason the middle pickup in strats always get in my way when strumming. I always end up hitting it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
i'm going to say what i say to most people.
get a washburn idol. i had a washburn 164dl for my first electric, and let me tell you i played classical before that.
I would agree with the people that said that you should try out semi hollows and teles. Both are great for what you intend to play.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by evening_crow
Hmm..

why don't you look into some semi-hollow body guitars? I think since they're equiped with humbuckers they'll pull off the gain for rock a bit better and are actually used a lot for jazz. As to specific models i can't help you much.

just my opinion though...

epic lolz @ recommending a semi hollow cos it would handle gain well. U r teh funnies.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
epic lolz @ recommending a semi hollow cos it would handle gain well. U r teh funnies.

It would, ever seen Gary Moore use one for highish gain-y blues?

Anyways, I would say the Strat or the Tele. Whichever feels right.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Walternativo

Wow..... you sir are a fail. Semi hollows handle gain alright unless you have the amp extremly loud or are standing too close it.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Flow of soul
I have been wanting to buy a electric guitar for some time now and I have finally been able to spend some money on one. My budget as of now is $530. So fair I have been looking into a MIM Stratocaster with a Roland Microcube. I think this would suit my playing style as I mostly like to play jazz, blues, 80s rock and some indie rock.

If anyone could recommend some other guitars to try that would help alot.

Ibanez any RG series is cool
Ok thanks for all the replies. So I think Im going to also check out a Tele. If anyone else has any recommendations please feel free to post. Is there are better amp then the Microcube for the same price or should I stick with that?