well here's the thing...
how come everything i write (songs) and even most of the new songs on the radio, turns out to be so ummm..(im not too got with picking the right words) lets say hollow and thin... let me give you an example

here's a little list of some bands
Clash, Rolling Stones, Ramones, Muse, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, rhcp, some G'nR stuff and even theDoors.. etc (a lot more)
well everything they write seems to be so deep (meaning artistic) or whatever it's like the originals.. something that everything else is based on... i think you got what i mean

so.. don't tell me it's the oldschool music... because there is muse, rhcp and there is radiohead... those bands make great music NOW.... then again there are songs like radiohead-creep... if that song was from another band, A LOT of people would go crazy like; "**** man, this is EMO!!!"

and I want to write hi quality music... not some fob **** or something like that...

so, tell me UG... what is the problem here... cause when i play my music it seems like perfect... it's some kinda rock i'm into btw... well anyway when i compare my music to the music form the bands listed above... i turn out to be a jerk making such bad songs...
so wtf went wrong here... i don't have enough self respect? is there anyone else with this kind of feeling
oh and yeah i put "the difference" in the title cause i wanna know what's the difference between my music and music from the bands listed above... You might want to check my band's song in my profile ... it's called instrumental (there are no vocals cause we have none of the songs in english however)

so that was it =) cheers UG
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
It could be that you're writing to write.
My...8th grade English teacher told me "If you write because it's something to do, that feeling and emotion can leak through to whoever reads it, but if you put your heart and true self into the piece, whoever reads it will feel that." or something like that. She might have been wrong though because she got fired a year later for making out with a student during class.
I do believe that how you feel when you're writing can come out in the piece it's self though, that includes the music of a song, not only the lyrics.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
It could be that you're writing to write.
My...8th grade English teacher told me "If you write because it's something to do, that feeling and emotion can leak through to whoever reads it, but if you put your heart and true self into the piece, whoever reads it will feel that." or something like that. She might have been wrong though because she got fired a year later for making out with a student during class.
I do believe that how you feel when you're writing can come out in the piece it's self though, that includes the music of a song, not only the lyrics.

you have a good point there.. and as far as i can see you might be right too... anyway... i would still like some more opinions and thoughts
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
A lot of the playing in the instrumental is kinda choppy, and a lot of the notes seem to clash.

Maybe that's part of the problem?
Quote by AA00P
A lot of the playing in the instrumental is kinda choppy, and a lot of the notes seem to clash.

Maybe that's part of the problem?

ahh that would be our first recording... we're going for a demo this fall....

it sounds perfect played live... ( and i got the amps settings ****ed up aswell on the tape)
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Atreideslegend
You're writing because you want to write, not because u have something to say.

now i dont get this one... what would i write about then

i usually get inspired and then write about the thing that inspired me...

could it be the way i write songs..?? i go with the lyrics first and as i write lyrics i picture the vocal melody... then at my band's rehearsal we put music to those lyrics
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Try and take yourself and your songs less seriously.

I find that if you start of by thinking "Now i want to write a song with a really deep meaning" then you tend not to because you are forcing yourself to write like that when you might have nothing to say. Try starting out just wanting to write any song, whether it sounds emo or pop rock or whatever, and if you are actually feeling like you want to write something deep then you will.

I'm sure not all of the songs by those bands have deep meaning or are really artistic - i remember at one radiohead concert just before playing Fake Plastic Trees Thom Yorke said "I always have trouble remebering the words to this one, but it's all rubbish anyway."

I'm sure as you gain more life experience you'll start writing deeper songs because you'll have deeper things to write about.

Also, if you want to see why a band sounds so good then analyse lots of their songs and use bits you like in your songs.
Quote by Serjem
now i dont get this one... what would i write about then

i usually get inspired and then write about the thing that inspired me...

He means (i think) that your forcing yourself to write when you have nothing to say, instead of waiting till you have something to say, then writing.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Jul 26, 2008,
if you dont know theory, learn it, if you do, apply it to your favorite songs to see what they are really doing. look at specifics and then more vague aspects, then take the vague ideas and try using them in songs, like most people that play rock guitar dont think of doing a trill or playing non-guitar inspired lines like sax music or anything like that, it really expands your playing and writing if you know what you want to do and you know enough to make it happen, and if that doesnt help, go get high
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Quote by mosh_face
go get high

Yes sir! hahh

Quote by 12345abcd3
Try and take yourself and your songs less seriously.

I find that if you start of by thinking "Now i want to write a song with a really deep meaning" then you tend not to because you are forcing yourself to write like that when you might have nothing to say. Try starting out just wanting to write any song, whether it sounds emo or pop rock or whatever, and if you are actually feeling like you want to write something deep then you will.

I'm sure not all of the songs by those bands have deep meaning or are really artistic - i remember at one radiohead concert just before playing Fake Plastic Trees Thom Yorke said "I always have trouble remebering the words to this one, but it's all rubbish anyway."

I'm sure as you gain more life experience you'll start writing deeper songs because you'll have deeper things to write about.

Also, if you want to see why a band sounds so good then analyse lots of their songs and use bits you like in your songs.

He means (i think) that your forcing yourself to write when you have nothing to say, instead of waiting till you have something to say, then writing.

you have a good point there... i'm starting to understand what my problem is... however... there is one line in your reply that bothers me and it goes like this

Quote by 12345abcd3

Try starting out just wanting to write any song, whether it sounds emo or pop rock or whatever, and if you are actually feeling like you want to write something deep then you will.

well what should i do then... if the thing i write turns out to be emo or whatever... should i just put those songs which turn out like that away for a while?.. cause i dont want to be no emo thingy... i don't really care of being popular... i just want my music to be pure
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Serjem

well what should i do then... if the thing i write turns out to be emo or whatever... should i just put those songs which turn out like that away for a while?.. cause i dont want to be no emo thingy... i don't really care of being popular... i just want my music to be pure

Sorry, i phrased that quite badly, I think using the genre to describe it was the wrong thing to say. What i meant was that if you should start off just writing, not saying "I want to write a deep, sad song" because you might be feeling really happy and therefore be unable to write a sad song. The same can be said to someone who sits down and thinks "I want to write a really complicated prog rock song", just write what sounds good not what has the most complicated riff.

Also, if you have already analysed and thought about the type of your music you like then there is not much point pushing yourself to sound to much like a certain band, you should just allow yourself to develope your own style and not worry about what labels people would put on it, whether they think it is emo or pop or whatever.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Jul 26, 2008,
all these replies got me into thinking.... and no.. i dont want to copy some of my favorite bands or songs.. i want to develope my very own style... but i need to avoid this style going down into emo...
Quote by Moggan13
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Serjem
all these replies got me into thinking.... and no.. i dont want to copy some of my favorite bands or songs.. i want to develope my very own style... but i need to avoid this style going down into emo...

Well i can understand why you wouldn't want your music to sound like all of the things that most people assosciate with emo, however you said yourself that Creep could be called emo if it were not by radiohead which shows that good bands can write songs that are emo or even just emotional but not be classed as that.

I don't think you have to worry too much about becoming very "emo" (how the public view it) but you shouldn't force yourself to not write songs that you might think are emo because, contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with the entire genre emo, there is just some things wrong with some of the things assosciated with it.

What i'm trying to get at is that you shouldn't concentrate on the whole genre, label every band into different groups, thing because those labels are so broad that they actually describe very little about you and your music. So when you come up with a song or an idea for a song don't say "I don't like it because it's too emo" just judge it on whether you like how it sounds, regardless of what other people will label it.
Your views of emo are wrong.

http://www.fourfa.com

That being said, no music just automatically has more meaning than any other music... It's all in the way the listener interprets it.

Take Nirvana for instance, many of their songs are just nonsense but people can attach meaning to it in their own heads. I might not hear the same emotions from Pennyroyal Tea that Dave down the street does. It's all subjective.

Just write what feels right and don't worry about it being "deep" or "meaningful." That's how bad songs are written(one of the ways anyway.)