I have a New Randall RG50TC, but it sounds nothing like the sound clips, demos, and reviews I've watched and heard elsewhere. In the back there is a 12AT7 preamp tube that does not light up like the others....this is probably the culprit for my sound troubles right?

After all I bought this amp at a deep deep discount because somebody had returned it to the store. So I figure there has to be something wrong with it. If it's as simple as this little preamp I'm going to be way hyped!

Also, when I turn on my delay through the effects loop it makes a fuzz when I start playing higher range notes.

Any suggestions, comments or additional considerations?

thx,
Andy
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
well i dont know my experience with amps and the preamp section is this, if any of the preamp valves are not working at all it messes up your sound is ganna sound like complete ****, not knda okay, but complete ****, its probly not completely dead yet so dont worry.
But when one is out the whole thing is un-operational i say just replace the whole lot of the preamps dont worry about the power amps right now.
Yeah the other tubes look fine, the power tubes and the two 12ax7's look like they are on and lit up and going, but there is NO LIGHT in coming from the 12at7. Yeah it pretty much sounds like total **** right now.
"After all the practical reason why a majority are permitted to rule is not because they are most likely to be in the right, nor because this seems fairest to the minority, but because they are physically the strongest." -Henry David Thoreau
...is that the phase inverter? Or is it one of those "almost-like-12ax7-but-not-quite"-tubes?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Ummmm idk. Yeah I think it is a phase inverter but it looks almost exactly like a 12ax7 tube....no scratch that, it looks EXACTLY like a 12ax7 except for the fine print on the tube itself.

what do you make of that?
Quote by ReefTECK
Ummmm idk. Yeah I think it is a phase inverter but it looks almost exactly like a 12ax7 tube....no scratch that, it looks EXACTLY like a 12ax7 except for the fine print on the tube itself.

what do you make of that?

I guess it's one of those 12ax7 variants or something, but if it's the phase inverter I'm not sure if it's supposed to glow fully. Then again I really don't know anything about tube amps, so I'm hoping someone would come in and help (who really knows this stuff). Maybe post in the tube thread? Or is that only for "what-kind-of-tubes-should-I-get"?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
If it used to be a 12AX7 that could be your problem. Perhaps the amp isn't for you? It isn't exactly a great sounding amp anyway.
The phase inverter doesn't glow dimmer or anything, at least not in my amp. Isn't that amp meant to have all 12AX7's?

I think the AT7 is a lower gain preamp tube. You can change it to an AX7 for more gain i believe.
Quote by atr5557
i just got the boss mt-2 metal zone pedal today. i got the adapter for it but how do i know if its charging?
theres this website guitaretv.net or something, it's french and I couldn't understand the guy, but he was demoing this amp and it sounded great!

I went ahead and ordered a new 12at7 but I got a high gain version of the tube. Yeah I guess the tubes all have the same pin configuration so they would be interchangeable. It could be my pickups too. I was able to adjust things to really get a great tone out of my solid state amp, I like heavy distortion, screaming harmonics, lots of sustain, and clarity out of my lead notes, but I also like to get pretty crunchy with it. IDK we'll see what happens, I might try another 12ax7 in that slot later.

Again, this amp could just be a total lemon.

thanks for the input,
andy