Page 1 of 4
I was just wondering how your neighbours react to your guitar playing, since I recently got a complaint from one of mine. I did actually comply, because the person who complained is definitely the type to call the police.

I don't actually mind that I got the complaint, it was inevitable, since I live in quite a suburban area; but what bothered me was that the man who complained said he wouldn't mind "if it were nicer music" that I was playing; that pissed me off, since Hallowed be thy Name by Maiden (what I was playing) is hardly the heaviest tune around, and that he advertises his double standard without even realising it. Also, I don't complain when I am woken up by the sounds of their children screaming and running around the lane after being told to stop playing on the Playstation; I think the sound of a spoilt little prat screeching is more disturbing than some brilliantly played Iron Maiden.

So, have you similar incidents? Are your neighbours stuffy and intolerant?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I dunno, my neighbour is pretty easy going, if a little odd. He keeps going down to his cellar.

Are all Austrians like that?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
nope.

get no complaints as houses arent too close together. plus i dont think i will get many complaints when i go off to uni unless i am stupid.

that guy sucks, you should ask him what type of stuff he thinks you should play, say its bad, maybe learn it and just screw around with it so it sounds mega heavy or something
i just play louder till they move away
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I would wank over all of you if I was a gay paedophile who liked simultanous gay wanking
I haven't got any complaints even though I sometimes play pretty damn loud (I have 4 x 12 cabinet). Actually, the only remarks about my playing from my neighbours have been compliments.
I wish my neighbours appreciated my bassplaying. I can't count the number of times I've been disturbed playing Muse...
its my revenge... they shut up for once... lol cause I got neighbors who will never stop yelling and its worse because they have 2 little kids: a 6 year old girl and an 8 year old boy and they won't stop yelling! I complained to my neighbors about them for waking me up at 8 a.m. last week... so whenever I play guitar, I make sure I'm blasting everything loudly.
Ha, my neighboors wouldn't dare complain to me. They know that I know they are all drug addicts and heavy drinkers. They would basically be throwing themselves in jail if they called the police on me :]
I have too much gear to fit!
Isn't it a bit intolerant to disregard your neighbours jusical taste? Plenty of people don't like Maiden. Or indeed just about anything that's labelled as rock or metal.
His opinion = as important as your opinion.
I dont have neighbours..

I'm sure the squirrels and other various woodland creatures enjoy it
Quote by GnR_ROK
I dunno, my neighbour is pretty easy going, if a little odd. He keeps going down to his cellar.

Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
You should put your amp near his window, crank it to 11 and start chugging your low E string and playing dissonant riffs, he'll love it.

My neighbours don't bother me because I play in my bedroom with no one else.
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it a bit intolerant to disregard your neighbours jusical taste? Plenty of people don't like Maiden. Or indeed just about anything that's labelled as rock or metal.

There's a difference between a reasonable noise complaint and pure snobbery.
The only adult neighbor close to me used to play in a metal band, so he just calls me a pussy instead of complaining.
My garage has a wall with a whole bunch of black chalk marks, we put one on the wall everytime the cops come, it think theres about 8 marks right now

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
There's a difference between a reasonable noise complaint and pure snobbery.

And were you standing outside TS's house with a decibelmeter?
How can you judge what is and what is not a responsible noise complaint, since any account from the TS will be biased?
mine still swears he hasnt heard me once!

the other side have heard me, but since i play at reasonable volumes, at reasonable times, i they dont mind
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
My neighbours don't have time to react, cos by the time they've tried to I've melted their faces off with 200000Notes per second technical death metal.
Quote by GnR_ROK

haha
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Last edited by eggo_boi_15 at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by MightyAl
How can you judge what is and what is not a responsible noise complaint, since any account from the TS will be biased?

All I'm saying is that it's reasonable to complain about music being too loud, but basing this complaint on the type of music being played is just pathetic.

Plus as well, the TS said that this guy then lets his own kids run about screaming, which is two-faced.m
my neighbors hear me all the time, the one says he likes it and says i should turn it up, and the other never said anything either way but his kid plays too so he cant really complain.

o i have a funny story about this actually, i was at band practice at my friends house and we were playing in his garage. we had the door open cuz it was summer and it was nice out, not too long after we started playing this old guy from up the street comes over and asks us to turn it down, he said something about his wife being sick and they dont have AC so the windows were open. well the supposedly sick woman is friends with my mom so i knew she wasnt sick and he was just lying. so we told him what he wanted to hear and he left, and we turned it up. like 10 min later the fire dept shows up, and we start ****ting ourselves cuz we think he called them over a noise complaint (why we thought they would show and not the cops idk) and were all trying to get our storys straight and whatever and the fire chief walks up to us and says, would you guys like to buy a calander to support your local fire dept. ... we had a good laugh about that later
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
Quote by Sylvanus

My neighbours don't bother me because I play in my bedroom with no one else.

I'm sure you enjoy that a lot
hehe i live in an apartment, but i've never had any complaints. prbly cuz i hardly play that loud. most of the time, i can hear my strings louder than my amp. i dont rlly need to play that loud unless im playing along to a cd, but i live in a fob kind of area, its like where ppl who are new to canada live and bring their families so its a pretty loud place already, no one rlly cares wat that noise is, as long as its not 2 am where its clearly obvious to everyone that its you making that racket.
Quote by MightyAl

I know what you mean, I was just annoyed by his double standard, he could just as easily be playing something which I find just as disturbing and a pain to listen to. I also find it particularly disturbing that I am constantly awoken by the sound of his spoilt children screeching for hours, yet I haven't complained.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by freddaahh
I know what you mean, I was just annoyed by his double standard, he could just as easily be playing something which I find just as disturbing and a pain to listen to. I also find it particularly disturbing that I am constantly awoken by the sound of his spoilt children screeching for hours, yet I haven't complained.

At what time are his children screeching? Unless it's after 11 at night, and before 7 in the morning, you would probably get nowhere with an official complaint anyway(unless you're on shiftwork).
Quote by MightyAl

I am not biased about myself in least, for I am brilliant, and I have no flaws, therefore I can not be biased.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
my neighbors don't complain but my mom does haha
Quote by imdeth
The only grinding i want to do is to Napalm Death.
Quote by the humanity
you get humanitarian of the day award.
Quote by freddaahh
I am not biased about myself in least, for I am brilliant, and I have no flaws, therefore I can not be biased.

I stand corrected, as sayeth the man in orthopaedic shoes.
Quote by MightyAl
At what time are his children screeching? Unless it's after 11 at night, and before 7 in the morning, you would probably get nowhere with an official complaint anyway(unless you're on shiftwork).

Usually pretty early in the morning, it isn't enough to warrant a complaint, but I was playing my guitar at around 6o'clock, hardly a time to warrant and noise complaint, since he said he was sitting outside at the time.

I know where you're coming from, I understand that it can be annoying, but I wish people would just put up with things, as I - and my other neighbours - put up with the annoyances from this particular family.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
Quote by MightyAl

Yes, but it's unfair to say that Maiden is not "nice music". People who think that anything rock or metal is bad or devil's music are douches. It's not unreasonable for him to play more quietly, but it's stupid that his neighbor had a problem just because it was Iron Maiden.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by MightyAl

If you're going to file a noise complaint, it should have nothing to do with musical taste. Just the fact that he said he wouldn't complain if it was "nicer" music is just pure snobbish and not a valid reason to file a noise complaint.

As for me, my neighbors are too deaf to hear anything (they're all old people), so I don't get any complaints.
Quote by freddaahh
Usually pretty early in the morning, it isn't enough to warrant a complaint, but I was playing my guitar at around 6o'clock, hardly a time to warrant and noise complaint, since he said he was sitting outside at the time.

I know where you're coming from, I understand that it can be annoying, but I wish people would just put up with things, as I - and my other neighbours - put up with the annoyances from this particular family.

In that case, I advise you to play something heavier next time, and keep it up. Then when you go back to Maiden, he'll think it's a grand improvement.
Usually you can't hear it outside, since I play in my basement, but last night we were recording and you could hear the drums out on the street at 1 in the morning. Luckily, nobody heard (or called the cops if they did hear).

Unfortunately, up at college, they aren't NEARLY as nice. If my band plays for one nanosecond after 6pm, the cops will be at our door by 6:05. It sucks.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
They build an altar and worship.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Next time his kids are outside in the morning, yell vulgarities at them, really loud. If he's a dick, you can be a dick too.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Why do my neighbours hate my bass so much?

Because you suck.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Page 1 of 4