Page 1 of 2
*updated on the 2nd pg with more pictures of scratches, fretboard, nut, pots. wires, etc
My friend found this guitar in an alley way. Its missing a bunch of parts and I thought this would be the best forum to ask about it.

Its a Des Lauriers guitar De-60CB serial # NO165. I've googled everything, and found very little information about the brand. Apperantly these guitars are from the 60s and made in japan.

Its missing a bunch of tuning pegs,nut, input jack is falling off, straplock, vol/tone knobs, and the bridge.. Theres a few scratches and missing peices of wood/paint on the fretboard but nothing that can't be sanded down / repainted.
Anyway, heres some pics. I'm guessing it'll be $100-200 CAN to get it fixed or less, if i can buy the parts on ebay. I don't know if the electronics work, but i've provided pics of the wiring, and hopefully someone can tell me how to test this... I've never customized or built a guitar before.

This is a pic I found on the internet , what kind of bridge is this?

Also, if anyone has any observatory observations (lol) about this guitar, or if you know anything more about the brand, please feel free to contribute
Last edited by funkehsocks at Aug 2, 2008,
that thing looks awesome. fix that baby up.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
fix it fix it you lucky bastard!!!
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
but what about the bridge? don't know what kind of bride to put on it...it looks weird. I've seen a picture of what the guitar is supposed to look like (i'll see if I can post it later)
and its not a telecaster or strat bridge.
Theres no place for the strings to be fed into on the back of the guitar.
Quote by funkehsocks
but what about the bridge? don't know what kind of bride to put on it...it looks weird. I've seen a picture of what the guitar is supposed to look like (i'll see if I can post it later)
and its not a telecaster or strat bridge.
Theres no place for the strings to be fed into on the back of the guitar.

A wrap-around Tune-O-Matic style bridge, I'd guess.

Edit:

Like this?

Last edited by -MintSauce- at Jul 26, 2008,
fix it, the paint job on that is ****ing awesome
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by -MintSauce-
A wrap-around Tune-O-Matic style bridge, I'd guess.

Edit:

Like this?

Thats as close as I can get to a pic of the bridge, there really is NO information about thiis guitar anywhere.

Is that the same type of bridge?
Mintsauce is right, thats a wraparound bridge. Thats a sick guitar, nice find!

edit: I posted this before I saw your second post
Hey you got any clearer pics of the wood in the cavity?

You wanner make sure it aint plywood, other than that looks like a pretty cool guitar.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
hey thanks for all the replies and help

I'm going to post some more pictures soon because I'm afraid I still need assistance lol.

Theres a bunch of scratches/gouges on the side of the guitar that I think i'll need to sand and repaint...and I could probably do it, but I'd like to know the correct way

Also, about that bridge, its says its already intonated, but isn't your intonation different for every guitar? how would that bridge work :S

I'm going to head to long and mcquades later this week and check out their prices on parts, but i'm expecting it'll be a better deal online.
Quote by Absent Mind
Hey you got any clearer pics of the wood in the cavity?

You wanner make sure it aint plywood, other than that looks like a pretty cool guitar.

Judging by those pix, I'm pretty sure its plywood. Its still a sweet looking guitar though.
That is an awesome-looking guitar, especially when you consider that you found it in an alley.

I can't help you out with how to fix it up, but not fixing it would be a sin. That thing is destined for greatness
Yeah it's plywood, there are distinct lines in the third pic. I'm pretty sure anyway.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
But then he'd have to put in a stop tail and drill holes... plus, it works for prs

just get another wraparound, thats what the guitar was made for
Quote by funkehsocks
hey thanks for all the replies and help

I'm going to post some more pictures soon because I'm afraid I still need assistance lol.

Theres a bunch of scratches/gouges on the side of the guitar that I think i'll need to sand and repaint...and I could probably do it, but I'd like to know the correct way

Also, about that bridge, its says its already intonated, but isn't your intonation different for every guitar? how would that bridge work :S

I'm going to head to long and mcquades later this week and check out their prices on parts, but i'm expecting it'll be a better deal online.

Some wraparound bridges, like the one that was originally on this guitar, have no fine adjustment for intonation, so the intonation is fixed. Technically, you could make minor adjustments to the bridge design, based on a specific scale length and bridge position, to 'intonate', and that's what they did. I wouldn't exactly trust that though, so if I were you, I'd get a decent wraparound bridge, with the same post spacing as the original.
Hey awesome guitar, if your buying stuff on ebay, National Music Supply is great for cheap, quality guitar parts. You will be able to pick upsome nice parts and fix this right up!
Looks awesome. But don't you dare re-paint it! Hope you get it working again dude.
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Some wraparound bridges, like the one that was originally on this guitar, have no fine adjustment for intonation, so the intonation is fixed. Technically, you could make minor adjustments to the bridge design, based on a specific scale length and bridge position, to 'intonate', and that's what they did. I wouldn't exactly trust that though, so if I were you, I'd get a decent wraparound bridge, with the same post spacing as the original.

+1 to this. Get a wraparound with individually adjustable string saddles. But really, for a beater guitar, a stair-step would do fine (if it was mine, at least). Think of it- an acoustic guitar just has a fixed bridge and they work just fine. And considering that a guitar can never ever intonate fully, it'll only be approximations, and each chord will not intonate properly, even for a guitar that's perfectly intonated at the 12th fret.
Again thanks for the help, so i'll look at a bridge that i can intonate each string individually.

I have more pictures for you guys, I'm pretty sure its made out of plywood, and theres additional problems I need solutions for. Just restating, i'm a total newb when it comes to this, i've done some work on my own guitar, but nothing like this.

1) Wiring on the pots / input this yellow wire goes nowhere?

2) Scratches and bumps all over the guitar.... how to fix them?

3) Fretboard and nut this is what i'm most worried about. How do i go about correcting these scratches? and the missing part...?

4) I need two new tuning pegs, or should I just buy all 6? I found some on guitarfetish that match but thats another $20 or so, but i haven't found any individual tuners.

Last edited by funkehsocks at Aug 1, 2008,
What the hell happened to that guitar? Did it get mauled by lions or something?
In any case, that looks like one hell of a job. I'd love to see you fix it up though. It would look awesome.
Update: I'm refinishing the sides/ back of the guitar because they're so busted up. I've filled in the holes /cracks with woodfiller and sanded down. I'm going to repaint it a cream colour, like the original. Hopefully it won't turn out like ****.

I'm thinking of getting this bridge
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CHROME-AMERICAN-DESIGN-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-BRIDGE_W0QQitemZ200198497183QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47067QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

They live in Canada, so hopefully shipping won't be a bitch.

I can't find any tuners that match up with the ones I have, i might have to drill new holes.
Last edited by funkehsocks at Aug 5, 2008,
Wow. Wish I had seen this thread earlier. You have a very rare guitar there. I have the same one, serial number 68. The original bridges on these were Gibson Les Paul Jr. bridges; not knock-offs but actual Gibson brand bridges from the 1960s. I wouldn't have sanded/repainted or any of that stuff because the value is in the guitar being as close to original as possible, ie: as little modification as possible. As to those who were saying that this wouldn't be a good guitar if plywood, shut up, you have no idea how good these babies sound. I have been repeatedly offered $1500+ for my checkerboard Des Lauriers, as well as the other electric DL's that I own. (A red one, a black one, a white one, and a white one with a Strat-type bridge). The company was only in operation a few years producing a handful of guitars, (most of them from the Matsumoku factory), before going bankrupt. They were selling the guitars for less than it cost to make them. Sort of the Delorean of guitars, an instant collectible to those in the know.
Oh yeah. I can draw up a wiring diagram for you to work with. As for a new nut, you should take it to an experienced luthier, (guitar repairman), and have a nut custom made. The neck is a very unusual 7/8 size and just buying a premade nut won't do; they're always the wrong size. The binding on the side of the neck can be bought for about $5 on eBay.
^ Interesting! In that case, I'd just colormatch the gouges that have been filled and not mess with the actual checkered top. I'd also hunt down a proper Gibson bridge. Putting together old, formerly cheap, and now collectible guitars should always be fun.

Good Luck!

That guitar has one of the greatest paint jobs ever !
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Interesting looking guitar, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this thread

Good luck mate!
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I have a wraparound bridge like both of those laying around in a drawer. If you're interested, I can sell you them for 5 dollars a piece plus shipping.

PM me.
Quote by Lost_Chance
Wow. Wish I had seen this thread earlier. You have a very rare guitar there. I have the same one, serial number 68. The original bridges on these were Gibson Les Paul Jr. bridges; not knock-offs but actual Gibson brand bridges from the 1960s. I wouldn't have sanded/repainted or any of that stuff because the value is in the guitar being as close to original as possible, ie: as little modification as possible. As to those who were saying that this wouldn't be a good guitar if plywood, shut up, you have no idea how good these babies sound. I have been repeatedly offered $1500+ for my checkerboard Des Lauriers, as well as the other electric DL's that I own. (A red one, a black one, a white one, and a white one with a Strat-type bridge). The company was only in operation a few years producing a handful of guitars, (most of them from the Matsumoku factory), before going bankrupt. They were selling the guitars for less than it cost to make them. Sort of the Delorean of guitars, an instant collectible to those in the know.

Wow man! I really wish you replied sooner aswell!
The damage is already done though, and the paint is giving me one heck of a time. The value doesn't really matter to me (but its bothers me still) because i probably won't resell it. And even if i did resell it in the state it was in, i wouldn't get much anyway.
I got all the parts in from ebay, and the tuners don't fit...so i have to make the holes a bit bigger. Hopefully my dad can do that. And hes also going to do the electronics.

Do you have any information about the pickups? What brand/etc?
And thanks alot, a wiring diagram would really help me out!
Those tuners look like generic strat copy ones with the backplates removed. I doubt the ones that still work are worth saving, so get some 3-a-side locking tuners!

Am I the only one surprised that this finish came out in the 1960s?
Quote by Mecler
I have a wraparound bridge like both of those laying around in a drawer. If you're interested, I can sell you them for 5 dollars a piece plus shipping.

PM me.

As for the bridge, right now I have one I bought of ebay, it looks like it'll fit, but i'll hit you up if it doesn't work out
I'm at work right now. When I get home today I'll draw up that diagram, and take a pic of my Des Lauriers collection. And as for Meddled's remark about the finish coming out in the 60's, here's a little more to surprise you; It's a nitro paint, like the original Strats. I know a fellow that does guitar painting/finishing, and he told me that if he were to do a paint job like that with nitro paint it would cost about $200+ for all that checkerboard.
Cool
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Quote by Meddled
Those tuners look like generic strat copy ones with the backplates removed. I doubt the ones that still work are worth saving, so get some 3-a-side locking tuners!

Am I the only one surprised that this finish came out in the 1960s?

That's what I wondered aswell. But Lost_chance confirms it is

@ L_C : I hope you've got pictures of these guitars on your profile - having a look after this post (don't dissapoint me ), I'm quite interested in them now!

EDIT: damn you!
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Page 1 of 2