I have been playing for a couple of months, but I have had two problems that have been looming over me since I began.

1. When I bend a string, and I release it, the string I was bending and the string it touched while being bent make an unwanted noise. What can I do to prevent this?

2. When I release a note, sometimes the string makes an unwanted noise as well. How can I prevent this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

And I've seen muting suggested before, but I have no clue how to do that without muting all of the strings. Links/Tips/Suggestions?
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
how to mute
that bugged me a lot too when i was playing
when you play you should with your left and your right hand,i use my right hand to mute the strings above the string that im playing like this :
e---------------------------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------7-8-10-7-8-10-7-8-10--
D-----------------------------------------------------------X
A-----------------------------------------------------------X
E-----------------------------------------------------------X
so u have D,A and E string to mute,i rest my right hand on the guitar bridge,like you would do palm muting,and i guess the B string you will touch a little with your left hand fingers and automaticaly "mute" it...
make sure when you pull your finger of the note that you are playing that you dont make harmonics and when you do pull of your fingers you shouldnt do that like your crazy but you can even leave your finger on the strings,just touching the string so that it dont make any noise
and for bending you can basically apply this method too,but as you've been playing for a few months you dont have to worry about this too much,just remember to play slow until you learn it right and then buff up speed...
as you play more and more it will just "come to you "
dont worry about it and keep on rockin
Quote by syn7
how to mute
when you play you should with your left and your right hand,i use my right hand to mute the strings above the string that im playing like this :
so u have D,A and E string to mute,i rest my right hand on the guitar bridge,like you would do palm muting,and i guess the B string you will touch a little with your left hand fingers and automaticaly "mute" it...
make sure when you pull your finger of the note that you are playing that you dont make harmonics and when you do pull of your fingers you shouldnt do that like your crazy but you can even leave your finger on the strings,just touching the string so that it dont make any noise
and for bending you can basically apply this method too,but as you've been playing for a few months you dont have to worry about this too much,just remember to play slow until you learn it right and then buff up speed...

Thank you so much for your response. It was very helpful and informative! I think that I understand how to mute the strings that I am not using now. And the bending makes a lot more sense as well. I am a little confused about taking the fingers off still. Maybe you can help clarify that a bit more? Thanks again for your time.
Gear:
Roland Microcube

When you take your fingers off you do the same thing, palm mute the string, or just play another note on that string if you need to.
The main rule for muting with electric guitar is right hand on the bridge to mute the bass strings when playing something and using the left hand fingers for treble strings. Muting the upper bass strings is usually easy and you can get away with poor left hand muting while alternating but when playing legato and such it will make a huge unwanted noise. To prevent it, use the left hand fingers in a way that you don't play with your fingertips while your hand is arched which is more suitable for classical guitar but lay the fleshy underpart of you fingertips on the treble strings.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
no problem this was really anoying me too when i started playing so i know how it feels
taking the fingers of the string lightly might be a problem at first but i think you will get it really fast
ok here's an example
if you have your guitar here somewhere near you it could be a good idea to try this right now
just play your high e string,basic alternate picking or not
and the try to stop picking the string and put you index finger lightly on the string (not touching the frets,just put your finger on the string so that it dosen't make any noise)
that should be simple so try it
when you play something else it a little bit different because now your fingers are already at one fret,touching it...
play one note anywhere on you guitar,now by touching the fret,and then when you pick the note and it rings out,just lighty lower the pressure with your finger that is touching that fret until it stops to ring anymore
this is suposed to be done faster but i think this will do for beginning
sorry for my english if i wrote something wrong :P
oh damn sorry for my wrong answers everyone Ze Metal and attack have a point there are ways to mute the strings different but as i said it will come to you,dont sweat it
Hey actually i found something from Shaun Baxter, a great guitar player so here it is by his words :

Remember that the side of the picking hand should rest firmly in a sort of karate chop style on all of the idle bass strings over the bridge pickup area not over the bridge itself as this will only slightly mute the open strings and result in an unsatisfactory mush.

A distorted rock guitar is much harder to control than an acoustic. In classical guitar you are taught to fret each note with the tips of the fingers but in rock guitar you should fret everything with the fingerprint part of the fingers so that the rest of the fingers can lay across any idle treble strings in order to keep them quiet.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
thats right but i dont preffer that way if you are thinking of kinda "bending" (not in actual terms of bending ) your hand so that you dont fret with you finger tips,id rather do it classical style,so that my index finger while its in the "classical" position mutes the idle treble strings
cheers guy i gotta go :P
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. It helped so much.

Zemetal, I will definitely try the palm mute method on the string when I am done.

Attack, The fingerprint technique will definitely help me, because I used to play like that, but then I thought that I should play with my fingertips, so I started doing that. Also, the bass strings over the bridge, treble with left will help a lot too.

Syn7, I understand how to do it now, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks again for your kind, helpful responses guys.
Gear:
Roland Microcube

Quote by syn7
how to mute

you mean when you just started?
slow down.

If you do the bends as slow as possible you will find the point where u
snag the other strings and be able to correct it.

Also heavier strings help some players.

Occasionally I will bend the high E and B strings when i am going with for
a full step bend. I started doing this for that solo on *Are you Experienced*
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett