Ok, so I have been messing about on the guitar for a few years, but really want to take it seriously and learn properly.

I got this book as it came highly recommended, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fretboard-Roadmaps-Essential-Patterns-Techniques/dp/0793520886/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217102270&sr=8-1 , but basically the first thing it tells you to do is to go and learn all the notes on every fret on every string.

I find it very frustrating just saying the notes over and over and quickly become bored, so I was wondering if anyone knew any different more exciting ways of learning the note positions?
Here's a tip from Joe Satriani:

Set a metronome to about 60bpm. Get your guitar and think of any note. For every beep of the metronome point out that note on the fretboard everywhere you can. Then think of a different note and repeat.

Do you know your major scale? (I have no clue how much theory you know so sorry if it's a dumb question.)

If you are just learning it then you can build the major scale on various notes on various strings. It makes you think of what notes are in what keys and you also see what notes are where on the fretboard.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥