I just bought my first electric guitar. I'm trying to find online lessons (workshoplive.com and other type places), books, basic learning material, etc for left handers. Most of what I've seen is all for right handers. Does anyone know of anything thats good and available? I'm having a real challenge so far.

I have no musical talent. I do not know chords, notes or anything currently. I hope at age 30, thats not too late to do. I'm determined to do it however. Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Well, i'm a lefty, and I just have to work to flip everything. When watching a video or something, just think of them as thick or thin strings, or something. And plenty of tabs are out there to start you out, and they are rather ambiguous. Other than that,us leftys have it pretty hard!

Hope this helped!
The name's Austin
Quote by Leo Tolstoy
Music is the shorthand of emotion.
Quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
Without music life would be a mistake.
I never had problems with that kind of stuff when I learned, just invert the image in your head, it's the same thing.
I actually found it easier to learn from a right hander just because it is like looking into a mirror and emulate what you see. tabs and chord diagrams in the other hand, may be harder to get around but i got used to it.
Quote by Sad But False
im lefty but i learnt right handed (tis the way to go)

Same here pal
I found a lefthanded chord book recently but Im so used to transposing in my head that its pretty much useless to me. Gonna be hard to find lefthanded guitar lessons. Guitar pro will flip the fretboard for scales and such which might help. Or you can draw chords and scales out on a piece of thin paper and flip it over trace the lines then its left handed. But tabs arent really left or right handed. The low e string is on top of the fret board lefty or righty.
Quote by MrInspired
I just bought my first electric guitar. I'm trying to find online lessons (workshoplive.com and other type places), books, basic learning material, etc for left handers. Most of what I've seen is all for right handers. Does anyone know of anything thats good and available? I'm having a real challenge so far.

I have no musical talent. I do not know chords, notes or anything currently. I hope at age 30, thats not too late to do. I'm determined to do it however. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Would you like some lefty chord charts? I've got them for all the major, minor, dim, 7th, and some 6th, 5th and barres. Let me know becuase they'd have to be emailed, too large to post in threads. But they're excellent because you don't need to reverse them in your head, just place your fingers as shown and go to town.
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I believe I'm going to have to really focus on just working the chords in mirror / flipped as mentioned. I do not find using a right handed guitar to be comfortable so that is not an option. I'm trying to source out a few left handed chord books and such. I do not trust random google searches to be 'viable' information.

I would LOVE some chords you could send me via email. I will PM you the email. Thank you.
Quote by MrInspired
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I believe I'm going to have to really focus on just working the chords in mirror / flipped as mentioned. I do not find using a right handed guitar to be comfortable so that is not an option. I'm trying to source out a few left handed chord books and such. I do not trust random google searches to be 'viable' information.

I would LOVE some chords you could send me via email. I will PM you the email. Thank you.

No pm yet. Are you still interested?
Quote by dessy920

Pretty useless site as far as I'm concerned. He's showing us the right handed chord shapes, but then in the pics has them flopped around for lefty's. And the C chord isn't even right. That's a slash chord, or C/G. A plain C won't utilize the low E string, and it should be muted. Instead he shows to mute the G and high E strings, which of course is completely wrong for a C. Plus the fact that he's playing a righty upside down, which is not recommended when learning. There are a few people who've gotten away with it over the years, but it's very difficult to learn to say the least.
Quote by MrInspired

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/

Check this link out. It also allows you to click on "Left-handed" link that converts to left-handed chords.

30 is not too late to start. Being lefty does suck though for a lot of reasons. I've just kinda gotten used to looking right handed stuff and interpreting it as left-handed for the most part.
I'm a novice lefty too. Only been playing for a couple of weeks. Switching the tabs and chord diagrams in your head isn't that hard, actually, it becomes quite normal after a week or 2.
If you search Google for left handed chord chart there are a few out there even 1 or 2 you can print out. Other than that you just have to switch everything backwards in your head. Its annoying but it gets the job done.
if you have literally never played before, it would be just as easy to learn with your right hand even though you are left handed.

Quote by MrInspired

Quote by powerchord117
if you have literally never played before, it would be just as easy to learn with your right hand even though you are left handed.

I totally disagree. It's not just as easy to learn to use your off hand to do the same things that come naturally with your dominant hand. A co-worker of mine had a bad accident at work in which his right hand was severed completely at the wrist. It was reattached, but is pretty much a mess. During his healing/rehab time, he had to learn how to write, eat, basically everything with his left hand. That was about 10 yrs ago. Today, his handwriting is neater and more precise with his messed up right hand than it ever was with his good left, even though he learned how to use it. I've said this before and I'll say it again. Try out 2 guitars, one made for righty's, the other made for lefty's. You'll know within seconds which is right for you. One feels natural to hold and strum on, the other won't. Unless you're a freak like Michael Angelo Batio, but then again you wouldn't be on UG asking questions either.