what's the difference? in my amp, there are 8 tubes total. there are 4 right in the back and i can easily pull them out. the other four are way inside cant take them out. and i think theyre smaller. same brand same type i think. im just wondering in case i need to shop for tubes in the future.
EDIT:
actually there are 10 tubes, four right in the back and six way deep inside the amp. the six are higher than the four and i'm not sure anymore about size. how do i shop for tubes?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Jul 26, 2008,
well you got it the other way around.
the smaller tubes, the preamps, are responsible for your distortion and overall tone of your amp.
while the power amps(the big ones) are responsible for the sound that comes out of your speaker and how loud its ganna be.
the more power tubes you have the more watts your amp will have.
oh and there all regular tubes, the way you put was wrong for, power tubes or preamp tubes arent better than one another they each other to function.
its like making a thread called STRINGS VERSUS GUITAR, whats better
Quote by TheKaiser77
well you got it the other way around.
the smaller tubes, the preamps, are responsible for your distortion and overall tone of your amp.
while the power amps(the big ones) are responsible for the sound that comes out of your speaker and how loud its ganna be.
the more power tubes you have the more watts your amp will have.
oh and there all regular tubes, the way you put was wrong for, power tubes or preamp tubes arent better than one another they each other to function.
its like making a thread called STRINGS VERSUS GUITAR, whats better

i'm not asking what's better i'm saying if i shop for them which do i buy? like how do i know what kinds of tubes are the tubes that died? i know there are preamp and power i'm just askjing how to distinguish between them.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i just said in the last post the small ones are the preamps and the bigger ones are the poweramp tubes.
you know that they died cause
1. your amp sounds like ****.
2. they no longer turn on, if you turn your amp on and notice the tubes youll see theyre brightly light up.
3. your amp is not functionaning.
Quote by TheKaiser77
i just said in the last post the small ones are the preamps and the bigger ones are the poweramp tubes.
you know that they died cause
1. your amp sounds like ****.
2. they no longer turn on, if you turn your amp on and notice the tubes youll see theyre brightly light up.
3. your amp is not functionaning.

no i know they light up and they die when they dont light up anymore. im just saying.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
so whats your ? exactly.
cause i dont see how i havent answeard it.
how cant you tell witch tubes arent working.
Usually people like putting JJ's in the preamp section and tun-sols in the power amp section.
Basically, if the power tubes go out, you lose volume. If the preamp tubes go out, you might lose preamp gain, might get distorted cleans, stuff like that. But if you can afford it, just replace all the tubes (maybe check the old ones by changing them in one by one to see which one's dead, and keep the good ones as backups).

I noticed you edited your original post to look less like a noob too...
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.