|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------5\4---5\4---5\4---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|

Ok, when playing that I'm wondering if I need to make sure to mute the E string with the tip of my finger when playing the A string notes or not? It doesn't really make sense that in this case I'd need to, but I want to make sure.

Hopefully I made my question clear. Thanks!
You should palm mute low E.

Don't mute with your left hand.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.

|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------5\4---5\4---5\4---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--3\2-0-3\2-0-3\2---|

Use the <code> </code> tags for tab (only with the [] brackets)

My advice would be to listen to the song and figure out if they mute it or not. That'd be the most accurate way. It'd also help to know what song it is.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
It's Master of Puppets easily recognised.
^in that case yeah, palm mute on the low E so you get the "chunk" sound.

Sorry, never learned MOP
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Thanks, but my question wasnt weither or not to palm mute it, but if I need to mute the strings with the tips of my fretting hand to cut the notes ringing out or not? Honestly I'm having a hard time wording this question properly I think.. sorry =(
Quote by Garou1911
^in that case yeah, palm mute on the low E so you get the "chunk" sound.

Sorry, never learned MOP

You play guitar and you don't know this infamous riff. Oh my...

I thought everyone was shown how to play Metallica riffs until they throw up.

EDIT : No you won't use your left hand to mute anything on that riff. You use you right hand on the bridge pickup area with a karate chop style to prevent the notes from ringing.
Ok thanks, that seems pretty difficult to do considering the speed of the riff but I guess it just takes practice. I've got that techqiue down on solos and such but not riffs...Same difference I guess.
Use the palm of your picking hands to mute the notes, You can also try releasing the first fret note on the E string after you play it, so the sound doesn't get mixed with the notes on the A string. Might sound clearer that way, just mess around to see what sounds good
Quote by Attack
You play guitar and you don't know this infamous riff. Oh my...

I thought everyone was shown how to play Metallica riffs until they throw up.

Nah. Too many people around me were doing it, and I hate sounding like everyone else. While other people were learning Metallica I was learning Clapton, Cream, Santana, and Floyd. I did learn Seek n' Destroy though
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Quote by Lumdiyen
Ok thanks, that seems pretty difficult to do considering the speed of the riff but I guess it just takes practice. I've got that techqiue down on solos and such but not riffs...Same difference I guess.

It seems very easy but it's actually one of the hardest riffs ever considering James plays it with only downstrokes at 220 BPM. Just start really slow.
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. I'm teaching myself and the thought of correcting more bad technique (again) makes me shudder.
Well I've run into another question in regards to that riff (and any like it). It doesn't seem to change the sound much when I use my picking hand to mute the E string because the A string notes pretty much cover it up anyways. Also I don't know any way to mute the A string from ringing out when releasing the A string notes and playing the E string ones.

I guess I really just don't know what to do for noise reduction technqiue here, if anything at all, because it doesn't seem to make much difference in this case. I've tried a lot of things, and when I'm playing it it sounds OK but I don't want to run into any bad habits of not playing clean. Any advice?
I really don't see why people are having a difficult time on the song?

Well, if you are a beginner...

My advice to you is just mute the E string.
Nah, its not difficult for me, but I want to make sure I'm using correct techique and not haivng more string noise than is acceptable. So I don't have a problem muting the E string, but when I release the A string notes it will ring out with no obvious way for me to mute it. I don't know if that is OK or not.

Is it a matter of lifting off my finger on the A string in a way that can hopefully deaden it more?
Hmm, I think you play the A string notes and then lift you finger from the fret while not muting it properly with your right hand therefore it acts like a pull off and the A note rings which is what should not be. So i suggest that you go to youtube and search for some right hand muting/palm muting videos to understand the concept really. You can also look for some master of puppets guitar covers to examine how the players right and left hand moves. Actually there was a video of Kirk showing riffs, try to find that one.
Quote by Attack
Hmm, I think you play the A string notes and then lift you finger from the fret while not muting it properly with your right hand therefore it acts like a pull off and the A note rings which is what should not be. So i suggest that you go to youtube and search for some right hand muting/palm muting videos to understand the concept really. You can also look for some master of puppets guitar covers to examine how the players right and left hand moves. Actually there was a video of Kirk showing riffs, try to find that one.

Yeah, thanks. I have been doing that and haven't come up with anything I'm not already doing. If I play it slower and I'm more careful about how I remove my fingers from the A string it helps the noise. So it might be a matter of just practicing that up to speed.