What strings should i buy? I'm learning to play Slipknot at the moment, so i was told i would need heavy strings. But just how heavy? This would be the first time i change strings, and i rather learn how to do it myself instead of taking it to a shop.
About .12 or .13 for Slipknot.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
You can play any music with just about any strings. The music is in your technique.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
if you are gonna go for heavier strings, esp. a jump from 9's to 12's, then you'll need to adjust the truss rod also. seeing as you don't even know string guages yet, i would suggest letting a professional do this for you.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by Garou1911
You can play any music with just about any strings. The music is in your technique.

You're right but Slipknot tune down to B or something like that so .08 and .09 will have a hard time keeping the tuning and probably the strings will break very quickly.
Don't You dare take ur guitar to a shop to get new strings put on it. You will be laughed at.
"Speed is nothing without control" - Bart Frydrychowitcz

Mark Morton is a God

Gear
Schecter Gryphon Diamond Series Limited Edition
Carvin SX-300 Half Stack
Podxt Live
V-amp 2
Peavey Transtube 110efx
Quote by StringsRequired
Don't You dare take ur guitar to a shop to get new strings put on it. You will be laughed at.

Why i did that. Just ask the person nicely to teach you how and if he's not an arseole he'll show you how.
Quote by StringsRequired

Ignore this
Elixer 12g. strings are the best ive ever used.

they dont rust, very easy to slide on, and also, heavy as hell soundin.
Thanks. Do you mean 12/13 as the gauge of the top string? Is there a certain make i should go for?

My guitar is a cheap one, i tuned it as good as i could too Drop B, and with a little messing around with the effects on my AMP, i managed to get it to sound like the song, or close enough for my mate to know what i was playing.
Go to the shop and ask them they'll help I'm sure. They'll be a few different brands I suppose to choose from.
Quote by westvipor
Elixer 12g. strings are the best ive ever used.

they dont rust, very easy to slide on, and also, heavy as hell soundin.

You got a link please?
^Just about every guitar shop carries elixers
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by cthuludawn21
if you are gonna go for heavier strings, esp. a jump from 9's to 12's, then you'll need to adjust the truss rod also. seeing as you don't even know string guages yet, i would suggest letting a professional do this for you.

I agree with Cthuludawn21. Changing sring gauges changes the tension on the neck and may send your settings way out off. At least take the time to check your action before and after the change to see if there is a significant diference. If you have a locking nut no problem but if you have a standard nut the slots may pinch a larger gauge string and make tuning and string bending an issue so watch out for that. Also, a larger gauge string will have a greater magentic attraction to your pick ups so if you have action and sustain problems and you have no clue where to look next then try readjusting your Pups (Single coils pull pretty hard). I switched from standard 9s to 11s and my Strat now has more fight and sounds better than it did with its original strings. I did have to adjust my action and Pup height as well as a light file on the nut but I left my truss rod alone. If you don't feel absolutely comfortable with the work that may have to be done then get ye to a proper guitar tech that knows what he/she is doing. Good Luck!
Quote by Garou1911
^Just about every guitar shop carries elixers

Hmm, I'm fairly lazy, so i usually take advantage of online shopping

Thanks for the help tho guys.