I can't tell between Tube and SS overdrive/distortion most of the time but I think it sounded like a tube amp with a tubescreamer. It had a pretty tight sound so thats why I think tube.
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

i'm gonna say its a decent solid state. my reasoning for this is that at the last sustaining note the distortion seems to splutter out until it suddenly disappears completely, whereas you wouldn't normally hear the exact moment it becomes clean on a tube amp.

Or its a tube amp being boosted with a solid state overdrive, as WlCmToTheJungle said.

Actually now i've posted this... i know what it is, but i'm not going to spoil it for everyone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 26, 2008,
Solid state. You could hear in the tone that its not tubes, tubes have a bit of a warm crunch that SS doesn't create.
well its 5 watt peavey valveking--tube but i've been wondering--- in sound quality does a good solid ss like a roland cube 60 sound better or worse than a cheap 5 watt tube amp? like valve jr/valveking/fender champ
way worse imo.

I had a Roland cube and traded it for a 5w Harley Benton VJ copy, and i don't regret it one bit.
it's a tube amp. kinda sounds ss-ish but i guess tube because it just sounds like one haha/
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Acquiescence
well its 5 watt peavey valveking--tube but i've been wondering--- in sound quality does a good solid ss like a roland cube 60 sound better or worse than a cheap 5 watt tube amp? like valve jr/valveking/fender champ

it all comes down to preference i'd assume the 60 watt is louder even though the 5 watt is tube. i dont like valvekings or roland cubes. i dont know what to say.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
it's a tube amp, a bad one by Peavey and it's the valveking to be exact. I want a cookie
I would've said a cheap cheap tube amp. I think the note decay dynamic that blompcube pointed out IS more typical of tube amps... The EQing was okay but the overdrive was fizzy.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.