Page 1 of 2
Ok ive been playing guitar for about 5 months now and i need a new guitar. I can play good. Ive been stuck with the crappiest First Act guitar for the whole time. In other words, PLEASE HELP ME!!! I would appreciate an opinion of a good begginer guitar in the price range of $125-200.

Thank You,
Lucifer512
What kind of music do you play?

Does that budget include an amp, or have you already got one? If so, what is it?
Well, I play a lot of rock and metal...thats about it. And it would be awesome if it came with an amp cause my amp is a First Act also. But if it meant getting an awesome guitar i would keep my amp.
I highly doubt that anything in the $125-$200 range won't be crappy as well.

Unless you maybe find a good deal on Craig's List or something for a good, used guitar.

My point; Save up, and buy something good because chances are, you won't find anything from $125-$200.
i know that it wont be good but it will be WAY better than my First Act. and im working on a budget. im 14 and its hard to $600 by mowing lawns.
I mean, you can get the budget little amp packs offered by companies like Ibanez, Epiphone, etc.. Those tend to be from $200-$300 USD, and they come (mostly) with an amp, cse, strap, etc, sometimes tuners. Looking at an old Musician's Friend catalog, They've got SG Special, Les Paul Special (all Epiphone), and Ibanez has an IJX40 and an IJX121 that come with headphones. Prices (respectively): $200, $220, $250, $300.

I personally would rather find the stuff separately. I found a '77 Peavey 30w tube at a flea market type thing for $50. I would check around that kind of thing. Granted, that was luck, as it came with a vintage strap, cable, and a homemade vinyl amp cover, but there are still really good things at a lot of these fairs/flea markets.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
The problem is that i live in the smallest freakin town in Wisconsin and idk of any flea markets anywhere around me except for one that comes around every year once...but that has already past. and we looked throught about the whole thing and i didnt even see cheapy. so if theres anything else u guys can think of i would be happy to know.

P.S. If anybody knows...do those small packs of strap, amp, guitar, etc. any good? Do they last long and sound good?
Quote by lucifer512
The problem is that i live in the smallest freakin town in Wisconsin and idk of any flea markets anywhere around me except for one that comes around every year once...but that has already past. and we looked throught about the whole thing and i didnt even see cheapy. so if theres anything else u guys can think of i would be happy to know.

P.S. If anybody knows...do those small packs of strap, amp, guitar, etc. any good? Do they last long and sound good?

generally amps that come in guitar packs sound terrible.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
A $100 squier is bound to better than the first act.

Really exactly how much can you come up with? $125-$200 is too broad a range. Can we say $200? Also you're gonna need to hold on to that amp for a while so your money can all go to the guitar.

Are you looking to buy online?
well, thats not a big problem, i can get a new amp but does the guitar sound good?
well, i would buy online if i had to, and ill take my amp...i would just really like a new guitar
HOLY POOP! thats a lot for a small amp...i think ill got a little bit less on the amp and a little more on the guitar cause my amp isnt really that bad.
Sorry, that's not why I asked. I was just wondering if you could get some sort of job... honestly, the smartest thing to do at this point would be to save up. Good tone comes for a price.
Oh, and yeah there's a censor, but you can easily bypass it.
WELLLLLLLLLL.............

Your profile says you were born sept. 4, 1994!

You are 13.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
lol...Trust me. if i could get a job right now i would have one. its just that in this little frikin town i cant find any. and im also saving for my car otherwise i would have about 700 bucks by the end of summer for one
I found this that sounded like a real good deal. Not many reviews at MF and HC but they're all good.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-HH-Ash-Electric-Guitar-?sku=511844

I don't know anything about this guitar and I don't usually recommend cheap guitars but I took a look at $200 guitars anyway and found this interesting item. Go to the link and read the specs. I quit looking because the other $200 guitars are mostly agathis bodied except for some Squiers.

This one stood out.
Don't get a pack. The amps suck for the Epi ones, trust me. All they are are feedback *****s. I get feedback from just having it on, without any cords in it.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Yeah, the amps are generally low wattage solid state practice amps, which don't translate into the best kind of amps.

It's more of a preference thing. You can get really only some budget models unless you can find a good deal on a used guitar. For example, a guy in my area on Craigslist had a lower-model Satch Ibanez for only a couple hundred because he needed money, that kind of thing.

Generally, a decent low-middle end amp (or guitar) alone will cost from the high end of your budget to around $500. That shouldn't deter you, though.

What kind of guitars do you like, manufacturers, body shapes, etc.? I have the new August Musician's Friend catalog (a big one this time!) and I'll look through it.

My friend Ranger01 says that you should save up to $500, then based on one of those mid-level guitar choices, you could probably have that guitar for the rest of your life.

Okay, so I'm just going to give things under $500, all right? Underlined means it can come with an amp, etc. if you want, it's going to be a bit more money, though.

Epiphone

*Dot Studio Semi-Hollow - $270
*G-130 - $229 (I wouldn't get this, especially in that god-awful red...)
*Dot Archtop - $400
*Les Paul Studio - $300-400
*G-400 - $350 ($400 w/ EMGs)
(There are a ton of different models, check them out)
*Les Paul Special II - $170
*LP-100 - $270
*Les Paul Standard Plain Top - $550
*Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 - $500 (I wouldn't get this one, but it's your choice)
*Tony Iommi Signature G-400 - $500

Fender

*Standard HSS Stratocaster - $400
*Standard Stratocaster - $400
*Standard Telecaster - $400

Squier

*Bullet Strat with Tremolo - $100 (not worth it, it isn't an upgrade)
*Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic '50s - $280

Ibanez

*RG2EX1 - $300
*GRX20 - $150 (My friend/bandmate owns this, it's not that bad)
*RG370DXGP2 - $450

ESP Ltd.

*F-50 - $220
*KH-202 Kirk Hammett Signature/Kirk Hammett Junior - $430/$250

Dean

*Evo XM - $120
*ML XM - $170
*Vendetta XM - $100
*Boca-12 - $340 (It's a 12 string, I doubt you want it)

Schecter Guitar Research

*Damien-FR/Damien-6/Damien 7/Damien Special FR/Damien Special - $450/$400/$450/$500/$450

Danelectro

*Dano 63/Dano 63 Baritone - $250/$300

Rogue

*HH - $150

Laguna

*LE422 - $450

All right, that's what was in the catalog.

Here is every guitar on Musician's Friend organized form cheapest to most expensive.

Hope that helps (it's probably the most detailed one in the thread ).

EDIT:

If it fits your style of music, I would also consider Gretsch guitars, they're great.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
Last edited by Chris_Parker at Jul 30, 2008,
Entry level Jacksons and Ibanez I think have the best value. I'd make sure to stay away from floating trems at such an early stage!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

WOW!! Thanks hugley Chris_Parker...That was AWESOME information! hmm.... you win my dog i guess...lmao
Last edited by lucifer512 at Jul 31, 2008,
and i my fav guitar is Synyster Gate's Schecter but thats way to far out of my reach...nest up would probably be a Strat. those r cool but r a little expensive. im not looking at any money really for the next 2 years. i have to pay for my car by myself. So...500 dollars will be far away for now...im sorry for wasting ur time but i will REALLY think of it in about 2 years...Hopefully ill have a job and be getting a little more money for theses kinda things... so thanks again and sorry again.

Lucifer512
Quote by lucifer512
and i my fav guitar is Synyster Gate's Schecter but thats way to far out of my reach...nest up would probably be a Strat. those r cool but r a little expensive. im not looking at any money really for the next 2 years. i have to pay for my car by myself. So...500 dollars will be far away for now...im sorry for wasting ur time but i will REALLY think of it in about 2 years...Hopefully ill have a job and be getting a little more money for theses kinda things... so thanks again and sorry again.

Lucifer512

I don't know if you like Zacky's, but I'm pretty sure his is a few hundred cheaper. Looks way different though.

I'm sure you could get a simlar kind of tone from Synyster's with another Schecter. A friend of mine says he got one because when he got it it wasn't the in thing, and he loves it.

If you want to try for a simlar tone, look at what kind of wood the body/top/neck is made out of, and take note on if there are aftermarket-type pickups (like EMGs or Duncans, etc.) and try and find a similar Schecter (or another company like ESP Ltd., etc., that might suit your style) and look for similar building materials (woods, pickups).

Thanks for the dog
Quote by Pauldapro
Quote by Chris_Parker

What kind of guitars do you like, manufacturers, body shapes, etc.? I have the new August Musician's Friend catalog (a big one this time!) and I'll look through it.

Is it an online catalogue, if so, can you send me the link please and thanks

Quote by lucifer512
well, i would buy online if i had to, and ill take my amp...i would just really like a new guitar

Dude, go with an amp first, you get 90% of your tones from the amp, get that before the guitar definately!
Quote by brandon369852
BW==D
B=W=D
B==WD~~~

^Fap.

Quote by ADCME
I use those bread bag clips as ninja stars, i once hit a Jehovahs witnesses guy on the head with one.

I squinted my eyes and said "Where is your god now"

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: capn crayola
Quote by leafsfan012
Is it an online catalogue, if so, can you send me the link please and thanks

Dude, go with an amp first, you get 90% of your tones from the amp, get that before the guitar definately!

Any of the links up there link directly to the Musician's Friend website. The catalog itself isn't online, but you just put in an address and you get it mailed to you for free (and I haven't gotten a single junk mail thing because of it). Here is the catalog order page. The interests it asks for basically just tell them what you're into for future newsletters or something, you still get the full catalog. I think the Christmas/Holiday "issues" are the best because they have nearly every company and a bunch of products for each, instead of maybe a page or less.

You can also get the American Musical Supply catalog, which is also free, but they won't send it to you every month or so like Musican's Friend will. At the top right of the screen on this one, you can click on Catalog Request to get a catalog, or just go here.

Guitar Center also has a newsletter, but it isn't very frequent. Oh, and these only really ship to the US/Canada.

And yes, OP, you should get a new amp, but it's up to you on what you want to get first. A word of warning: Stay away from Marshall MGs and Line 6 Spider III's. Trust me, the whole of UG will agree with me when I say this.
Quote by Pauldapro
so the catalogue is like on paper:P
not trying to be dumb, i mean like, its not on the internet, it gets mailed to my house?

and yea Line 6's are bad, all the effects, they turn you into a bad guitar player
Quote by brandon369852
BW==D
B=W=D
B==WD~~~

^Fap.

Quote by ADCME
I use those bread bag clips as ninja stars, i once hit a Jehovahs witnesses guy on the head with one.

I squinted my eyes and said "Where is your god now"

XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: capn crayola
Quote by leafsfan012
not trying to be dumb, i mean like, its not on the internet, it gets mailed to my house?

and yea Line 6's are bad, all the effects, they turn you into a bad guitar player

Yeah, a catalog is a magazine of products for sale. The sites themselves are technically catalogs, but whatever.

Everything on the site is in the catalog, and the catalogs don't give all the items, but they let you know about new deals, etc.
Quote by Pauldapro
Send off for a free catalog from the sites and read both. Sometimes the sites has good deals and so does the catalogs. Their prices aren't always the same.
Save up till you got about 300-350, then get a cheaper ibanez, good starting guitars. I also got my epiphone g-400 for that price, its pretty good itself, a bit on the heavy side though.
Quote by leafsfan012

I can agree with this, seeing I got talked into getting a spider III 15w with my guitar. ****ty starting amp, your better off getting a 15w marshall or even one of those fender amps.

My brother also got a 75w Spider III which is a little better, but there are still many better amps for that price. Its not that great, the distortion is fuzzy and just bad.
Quote by robinmccready
get an epiphone les paul junior, in england they are £200 at the most!

I kinda live in Wisconsin USA...WHEN AM I GUNNA GO TO ENGLAND!!! i would like to cause the girls r FINE!!! but thats not wat were talkin about but in USA they r like 5k lmao
Quote by lucifer512
I kinda live in Wisconsin USA...WHEN AM I GUNNA GO TO ENGLAND!!! i would like to cause the girls r FINE!!! but thats not wat were talkin about but in USA they r like 5k lmao

i mean on the internet!! seriously check them out, epiphones wont be 5k lol
Page 1 of 2