Poll: Is music better with headphones?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is music better with headphones?
Yes
19 83%
No
4 17%
Voters: 23.
Is it better to listen to your albums with or without headphones?

I find you can hear a greater amount of detail with headphones on, but when you feel like rocking out it has to be through a soundsystem.

Also, what headphones do you all have, if any? I just got a pair of Philips SHP2700's, quite nice for the cheap price
without
my personal favorite is blasting it thro my guitar amp. its badass.

edit: and if the EQ is nice and good, the sound quality will make headphones seem shit.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼

that's how i roll.
-\_/-
Quote by Fred1000000
BlackZeppelin is like Ghandi. With a bigger sense of humor.
it's the silence between the notes that makes the music.
Through your amp, now I've heard of people playing music through their amps so they can play along, but just listening to music through your amp? That's pretty cool I guess. My buddy just got a pair of in ear earphones, called Ultimate Ears or something, and he can't stop going on about them! Saying how you can hear tihngs you've never heard before etc. I'm generally a loud system kinda guy, but I do think you can hear more detail with 'phones on.

That's how I roll.

And then for some serious rocking out I've got an old stereo that actually sounds pretty good considering it'd been sitting in the garage for some number of years before I decided to liberate it.
how do you connect your iPod or w/e to your amp?
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Quote by katphish
Through your amp, now I've heard of people playing music through their amps so they can play along, but just listening to music through your amp? That's pretty cool I guess. My buddy just got a pair of in ear earphones, called Ultimate Ears or something, and he can't stop going on about them! Saying how you can hear tihngs you've never heard before etc. I'm generally a loud system kinda guy, but I do think you can hear more detail with 'phones on.

idk, ive used some decent quality headphones, but the drums come thro so much better thro guitar amps IMO. its easy too, just get an adapter from a 1/4 inch cable to the headphone sized one, so u stick it in ur mp3.

it looks like this.

followed by one of these

▼ but he is ▼
Last edited by itsxsteves at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by veggiederek
how do you connect your iPod or w/e to your amp?

You just need one of those jack converters, and an audio jack to audio jack cable. Then you just plug in straight where your guitar plugs in
Yea, I run a lead from my computer to my bass amp, get the EQ bass heavy, hit the deep switch, and rave. The vibrations have kinda fucked my floor up.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
I find headphones are better for EQ purposes, since there's no variance of where the subwoofer and satelite speakers should be. Through my amp, i find it impossible to EQ it just the way i like it, but sometimes i'm willing to sacrifice that for being able to absolutely blast it.
Yeah, I've always thought a guitar amp should produce pretty good sound. It's a big enough speaker and it has to make the guitar sound good. Just having the one speaker might be a bad thing though, you need some more for the other high pitched sounds etc.

Also, if you try to mix sound through headphones it comes out sound so different through monitors or speakers. It makes things a bit difficult, I can usually mix a great sound with headphones on, but then I play it through speakers/monitors and it sounds worse than I expected
I rarely use my headphones.

I have a surround system, with 5 speakers and a pretty nice sub, so I tend to use that abit more.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
i'm thinking about buying some of these:

because i go through earphones liike crazy.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave

he's talking about me!
Just got a mid-range pair of Bose over-ear headphones and the sound is awesome, the quality is brilliant and the noise suppression, as in outside noise, is great. But for "rocking out" a decent sound system is needed fo sho'.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
I imagine some of you play with headphones plugged into your amp, for when you can't make a noise. I don't like it much, sound quality is great and all, but it's just not the same as playing with the amp cranking out glorious volume
Using these at this very moment. Look damn sexy, and they're great quality for the price I paid.

I found everyone else can hear what I'm listening to as well, but that's the only problem with them.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
I'm hearing impaired in my right ear (about -40dB relative to my left), so I usually prefer wearing headphones with the balance shifted a bit to the right. With Bose TriPort headphones and that, that's probably the only time I ever get to hear music like most people do. :/

Rocking out heavily, though - laptop speakers will do it for me usually, as well as the car stereo.
fender ts-411 headphones, came with a Squier starter kit I got for my birthday a while ago. Pretty great 'phones.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
awww.
car stereos suck, unless you buy some good ones.
the ones that come in most cars are horrible.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave

he's talking about me!
Okay, playing music through a guitar amp would sound awful! Guitar amps are made for guitars, not iPods. (EQ biasing and what-have-you) You could actually damage the speaker that way, too.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
What song have any of you listened to when wearing 'phones and heard something new and thought "Awesome!"? I was listening to come Coheed and heard a couple of completely new layers of music in some songs, In Keeping Secrets album. That album was wonderfully produced and mixed compared to any of their others, maybe Good Apollo 1 but Inky was a better album overall, so much hidden beauty in it.
Quote by bajeda
Sennheiser HD-595s.

Want a better sound system to blast stuff on, but for detailed listening I prefer the phones.

good job on the sennheiser, I have a low end model and it still kicks ass. gonna get some newer ones though as mine are breaking.

Also to the post above about hearing new stuff. All the time man, all the time.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by SLD.Potato
Okay, playing music through a guitar amp would sound awful! Guitar amps are made for guitars, not iPods. (EQ biasing and what-have-you) You could actually damage the speaker that way, too.

i strogly disagree

▼ but he is ▼
Quote by itsxsteves
i strogly disagree

I am going to try this tomorrow and report back on the experience.

I think it will be good
I love music through headphones. You can hear everything, unlike with a sound system some things won't be picked up. I got a pair of these for £15 on eBay, they're amazing.(Invalid img)

Quote by itsxsteves
idk, ive used some decent quality headphones, but the drums come thro so much better thro guitar amps IMO. its easy too, just get an adapter from a 1/4 inch cable to the headphone sized one, so u stick it in ur mp3.

it looks like this.

followed by one of these

I use one of these bad boys with a guitar lead. Same thing really, but just involves less separate pieces.
Real men don't need sigs.
Last edited by dgervin839 at Jul 26, 2008,
You definately shouldn't run music through guitar amps. Just speakers built for music. I like headphones for detail, but can't beat a surround sound album.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I've always been told never to play music through my amp (crappy line6 spider ii).. is this true?

Edit: just read the post above lol.. any reason why?
Edit: Also, in contrast to what most people are saying here, I've actually heard more detail in songs and been put off by them, of course I've done the opposite, but this has also happened too.
Last edited by matth05 at Jul 26, 2008,