I'm currently defretting my bass and I'm up to the stage where the gaps are filled and the fretboard is sanded smoother than glass, I was just wondering how important laquering the fretboard and geting round wound strings is?
unless you want your fretboard to get raped quicker than a kid a michael jacksons house, id recomend it.
SCHECTER Hellraiser-FR '08 White
SCHECTER Damien-6
VOX AD50VT-XL

Quote by nebiru
Nevermind.. I changed my mind.

Run at the bathroom door screaming like a velociraptor and ram into it fullspeed.

Quote by angusfan16
Well this is just a hole full of fuck.
Coating the fingerboard is a must. Unleash the Jaco Pastorius in you.
It depends if you want to have roundwounds or flatwounds. If you poly it then you can use both, but the sound is different; a little brighter. If you don't poly it you can only safely use flatwounds, but the sound is more "pure" to a fretless sound.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It depends if you want to have roundwounds or flatwounds. If you poly it then you can use both, but the sound is different; a little brighter. If you don't poly it you can only safely use flatwounds, but the sound is more "pure" to a fretless sound.

Quote by Spaz91
laquering the fretboard and geting round wound strings

Flatwounds sound more like an upright bass and I'd only recommend that for jazz or classic rock.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Nothing sounds anything like an upright bass, but an upright bass. Flatwounds just give that classic fretless bass guitar sound.

My fretless Fender doesn't resonate like my upright but the strings do give off a similar sound.
Half-Rounds (or half flats)
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?