Hey, i'm trying to pick what delay i should get. It's going to be either the Line 6 DL4 or Boss' Giga Delay. To all who have experience with either/both, i would like to know what would be a better buy. I'm looking for a delay that can give me more of a spacey atmosphere, like i can make good ambient soundscapes!!! A pro for the Giga delay is that it has up to 23 sec of delay (!!!!) and i'd be able to loop stuff with it, but the DL4 has a loop function... so i don't know! Which one would you rather get? I play stuff like Eluvium ( more Under the water it glowed, and the album Talk Amongst the Trees) and i play experimental stuff so i would like to be able to mess around with stuff and make cool sounds and what not... so yeah, thanks!!!

(a little self promotion..) If you go look at my song on my profile, thats what i like to play, but i'd like a better delay, rather than just playing with a behringer delay....
Last edited by Megalomanic9345 at Jul 26, 2008,
boss space echo for spacey sounds
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
id say go for the DL4, i think its got more delays to.
i tried both out at GC and i liked the DL4 better.
i own 3 DD-20s (i have two on my live board), and i've owned 2 different DL4s (one with an expression pedal and one without) as well as the Echo Park. i sold both the DL4s. they're pretty decent delays, but i always found them too sterile and not versatile enough. with the DD-20, you get more presets, the looper is WAY easier to access (just set the "manual" mode to Sound on Sound), and you can enter in the specific BPM you want as well as select your note pattern from eighth triples or dotted eights all the way to whole notes. this particular feature is EXCEPTIONALLY handy when in the studio, as you can set your delay quickly and easily to the exact tempo of the click track.

i found the DL4 to be practically worthless without the expression pedal. the auto-volume swell mode, the lo res mode, and the oscillation in tape echo mode are all really nice, but the design laws outweigh the benefits for me.
^^ Exactly the reason I kept a DD20. It's just more practical, and to top it off, much more reliable. More often than not the DL4s crap out for no reason. I have yet to hear about a broken DD20
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
line six is true bypass

i personally dotn like it but i do like the option of savable presets

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
Empress Super Delay. YOU need it.

the Empress is really cool but, for $450, it still doesn't have as many useful features as the DD-20. the Super Delay sounds a bit better but, as far as i'm concerned, the GigaDelay is the best digital delay pedal on the market--regardless of price.
I was gonna say that's the CAD price, but then I noticed there's very little difference between CAD and USD.
These go to eleven...
Eventide TimeFactor for experimental music and lots of tweaking.
i own a Giga Delay but i don't recommend it. it's just not stellar.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
The DL does have great effects, but is riddled with reliability issues. The DD20 is simply an awesome digital delay, but does have a slight learning curve to make full use of all it's abilities. Also, the DD can do a great lead and clean pad...as well as chorus and vibrato.

Here are some examples:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=763780

If you are interested, I can get all the setting for the above effects.
i've had my DL4 for at least 2 years, and its never once "crapped out" on me
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
^That's great...the DL does sound nice...maybe I read to much into the reliabiility stuff?
RE: reliability--i never had any issues with either of mine.

and to necrophilic, why do you find the GigaDelay "not stellar"? just curious. the Eventide is a good pedal, but it's so...pristine. it's like a VHT head or a TC Electronics G Major. they sound *too* good, in my opinion.
Quote by Bloodshed
^^ Exactly the reason I kept a DD20. It's just more practical, and to top it off, much more reliable. More often than not the DL4s crap out for no reason. I have yet to hear about a broken DD20

Well you have now. Mine got messed up somehow and only works on presets 2,3, and 4. The manual mode and preset 1 got messed up.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Hey Sam, sorry to hear about your pedal. I would take it back for repair, should have a 5 year warranty. Sounds like a bad switch...but I am not a tech. Good Luck.
The guy from eluvium uses a DL4, i saw it when he supported Explosions in the Sky in january.

He uses that for guitar overdubs, and a laptop running some form of recording software for the soundscaping bits.

Id go with the DL4, all the post rock/soundscaping bands i can think of use one.
Quote by BloodBlooms
RE: reliability--i never had any issues with either of mine.

and to necrophilic, why do you find the GigaDelay "not stellar"? just curious. the Eventide is a good pedal, but it's so...pristine. it's like a VHT head or a TC Electronics G Major. they sound *too* good, in my opinion.

simply because i've heard much better stuffs.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
I stand corrected it can happen. Thank you for letting me know.

Is it still under warranty? Boss warranty is like 5 years I think (I know it is on the compact effects but not sure about the Twin effects.)

Still thats one bad egg versus about 45 DL-4's that I know of. The problems in the DL-4 usually involved one of two things. Either the crappy little switches would die, or the memory would get screwy and presets could no longer be saved. No I have learned how to reset this problem, but I don't think you should have to worry about that. Fixing the switches is easy, but again, why need to worry about it. Also, the DD-20 is very intuitive, the only learning curve required is to learn some of the more "hidden features". Once you know these, it's as easy as using a regular stompbox. I bought mine and used it at a gig 5 hours later. It was easy to use, and sounded excellent.

Around here, I have seen a good 12-15 DL4's at various times on CL with one of these problems, and HC is riddled with people asking how to fix DL4's, with most of them breaking under BEDROOM use, not heavy gigging
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Jul 28, 2008,