Alright, well I happened to notice how many things today or in the past 50 years or so have been relating to LOTR.

the books are great, and the movies movies kick @ss

so, i'm hoping everyone can talk about this without pears or llamas involved

yup..
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Why now? Why not 35 years ago?

The books > the movies. The movies are mediocre at most.

Too bad they changed the movies totally. The first movie and book got more or less only share the basic basic plot, after that it's just all changed. Why?!
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
I only like lord of the rings because the movies have Dominic Monhagan in them. Legend
just for fun, STH, mist mountain hop, battle of evermore and ramble on all have references to LOTR
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Films are awesome.

Loved reading 'The Hobbit' but the trilogy of books were very slow and I gave up halfway through the second.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
books>movies for sure.

I read a whole load of lotr in my time. Im only missing ufinished tales pt 14 /lotr nerd
I read the books. Then I realised I had essentially spent hours of my life reading about people walking. And walking. And walking...
The books are mega ace, the films not so much :p
I see why they'd have to change them a bit but a lot of the changes make no sense, and taking out good bits (like Prince Imrahil, the main man of Return of the king, to put in 10 minutes of Arwen crying and dropping a book in slow motion sucks!) In fact they said they left a lot of stuff out because it detracts from the main story, but I think the whole Arwen and Aragorn thing is pretty distracting/boring/pointless.
Haha I could go on for ages about the films, they annoy me sooo much!
Quote by Cmd. Cool
I read the books. Then I realised I had essentially spent hours of my life reading about people walking. And walking. And walking...

EXACTLY!
Quote by SteveHouse
Where the **** is Tom Bombadill? He's the main point why you should read the books imo. One of the coolest characters in any book I've read and it sure do suck to not have him in the movie.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
It's not really that much walking, mostly the people who say that are the ones who watched Clerks 2 and decided that using a joke as their point of view is easier than actually reading it.
Quote by Cmd. Cool

That made me laugh.

But seriously, it wasn't just that the books were slow, Tolkien's actual writing style kind of made them read like a children's picture book. They were these really childish books about people getting their limbs hacked off.
Quote by Roots_radical
It's not really that much walking, mostly the people who say that are the ones who watched Clerks 2 and decided that using a joke as their point of view is easier than actually reading it.

~sigh~ sweeping generalisation sir.

Maybe I just think it wasn't as fast paced?
Quote by SteveHouse
AHHHHH

I love the Lord of the Rings. Both the books and movies.

Have any of you read the Silmarrillion?(sp?) That book is mind boggling, literally.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
The books were written by an Oxford English professor. They read like they were written by an Oxford English professor.

I love reading, but it takes a trooper to really get into the books; Not just reading them, I mean getting into and truly enjoying them. There's a type of zone that I get into, I'm not sure about anyone else, but it is reached when it's no longer a chore to digest the words, when your pace quickens, the pages fly, and the words give themselves way to direct imagery that forms in your mind.

It is very difficult for me to do this with the LotR books. I love them and what the author gave us, but it's like reading Tom Clancy.
Last edited by The Leader at Jul 26, 2008,
Lord of the rings is amazing, and the books are brilliant. People who say they are boring haven't actually read them, because they're too stupid to understand the words, and too lazy to read a book that's longer than 14 pages.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
I haven't read the books personally, but going on the ridiculous length of the ending to Return of the King, I wouldn't have the patience.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
IMO, the movies were pretty much the most epic thing to ever come to cinema.

Had they only truly captured the power of the books, the sensory overload of awesome would kill us all.

I mean seriously, what the ****? WHY WAS THERE NO TOM BOMBADIL???!!
JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis (narnia) were in the same circle of friends and i think that JK Rowling's grandmother or something was in it too. Or someone's grandparent who wrote a book also known well today.

LoTR is far better than the others though. Narnia is still pretty good, 'specially the last two books.
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

Last edited by Imperial at Jul 26, 2008,
I had to piss really badly at the end of the last movie.

I didn't even want to see it, but I had to. Also, the fact that there were around 7 or 8 endings made it even worse.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Hooray for Rabidguitarist! And the Silmarillion is alright, but I kept getting mixed up cos there's so many elfy names and I can't tell them apart! I keep meaning to re-read it though.
Also Tolkien totally, and shamelessly ripped off the entire of Norse mythology and basically no one noticed.
Quote by Cmd. Cool

just like pokemon
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Cmd. Cool
Also Tolkien totally, and shamelessly ripped off the entire of Norse mythology and basically no one noticed.

CS Lewis did that with the Christian bible too. Although I don't know too much about Norse mythology, i know that Rohan was basically Beowulf. Even the great hall Meduseld was copied from Beowulf.
Quote by SOADrox429

is anyone else looking forward to the game lotr:conquest it looks awesome
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
Quote by The Leader
The books were written by an Oxford English professor. They read like they were written by an Oxford English professor.

I love reading, but it takes a trooper to really get into the books; Not just reading them, I mean getting into and truly enjoying them. There's a type of zone that I get into, I'm not sure about anyone else, but it is reached when it's no longer a chore to digest the words, when your pace quickens, the pages fly, and the words give themselves way to direct imagery that forms in your mind.

It is very difficult for me to do this with the LotR books. I love them and what the author gave us, but it's like reading Tom Clancy.

That usually happens pretty much upon the start of The Two Towers.

I absolutely loved the books, and I couldn't out it down. One of the best books I've ever read.
Quote by Just Andrew
I had to piss really badly at the end of the last movie.

I didn't even want to see it, but I had to. Also, the fact that there were around 7 or 8 endings made it even worse.

What do you mean it had 7 or 8 endings? Didn't the good guys win and then it all finished?

Oi, does anyone know how to make the text bold when you're quoting someone?
The one thing I didn't like about the end of the Return of the King was the abandonment of Saruman, especially the Scouring of the Shire which would have added at least another twenty minutes onto the ending, too much admittedly for the viewing public unfortunately, but none the less should have been filmed and put into the special extended edition.

I'm not too upset about no Tom Bombadil because he no doubt would have spent twenty minutes singing but I'm annoyed they increased the romance of Aragon and Arwen when they left out a perfectly good romance of Eowyn and Faramir.

Would have been nice to seen the Balrog after it emerged from the pool of water but apparently that would have been too expensive for all the time it would have been shown as a slime balrog.

The time spent in Mordor was far shorter than what was shown in the book.

Though personally I know I would have happily sat through six films, one for each of the books, and each as long as the current films, just to see more of the Lord of the Rings, but lets face it that would have flopped for the mainstream audience. Jackson only did what he had to to keep the majority happy while not insulting the hardcore fans. I'm glad for the films for they introduced me to Tolkien. At the age I was when the films came out I would not have read his books except for the need to experience more of what was shown in the films.

I'm happy now that my wish for the Hobbit to come out is apparently close. Hopefully as it is a shorter book by far, it'll keep a lot of the book in it. I know they will not leave anything out of the time when Bilbo meets Smeagol (still played by Andy Serkis) because they know that is why an awful lot of the normal public will be going to see the film, and not for the final confrontation with the dragon or the journey inbetween.