Okay, upon installing new custom hand wound pickups, I had to grab a diagram to jog my memory and came across this one as well -

CLicky!

I never was aware that each manufacturer had a different color code. Ive always used one method with all pickups, I think??, never had any problems I guess. But Ive always wired my pickups into the guitar with Red and White together, Black to the pot and Green and Bare to the ground. Is this always true or does that link above, prove otherwise? If so, how come my pickups always work though? Or am I out of phase or something and not know it? lol
your doing it right, thats if you want all that fancy series parrelel stuff you use that diagram

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101
your doing it right, thats if you want all that fancy series parrelel stuff you use that diagram

I dont quite understand what you are saying, as it doesnt seem to apply..did you look at the diagram? Im not using Seymour pickups, that just happens to be the best place for diagrams...Not trying to be a dick, lol.
Different pickup makers do use different color coding so it is important to note which color coding your pickups use. It is quite possible that in the post you have had pickups out of phase and not known it. It is also possible that you were lucky and all the pickups you have wired in the past used the same color coding.
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks Corduroy! That clears a few things up. Since ive already got this thread going, I noticed that the way my Les Pauls are wired is different from what appears to be a standard setup... Here is what I assume is standard, maybe im wrong though?

Standard wiring?

AND heres how my LPs are wired.

My LPs

And I couldnt find any diagram like this one on the Seymour Duncan site, which is way i had to make it up myself, so now Im wondering which way is correct?? Can someone tell me the difference? which is better for classic rock tones??

Thanks!
Last edited by piecies_81 at Jul 27, 2008,
thats just 2 ways of getting the same results. The way you have it wired the signal runs through a capacitor and then through a resistor. The way seymour duncan has it the signal runs through a resistor and then through a capacitor. To my ear, they both sound the same.

If you really want vintage tone move the cap from the left lug of the volume pot to the center lug. That'll change the way it rolls off the high end and it'll give you brighter tone. Thats how gibson did it back in the 50's when the idea was 'the brighter the better'.
Not taking any online orders.