I'm trying to figure out exactly which amp I need to get to get a good John Frusicante style tone for gigging. I've looked at previous threads, and there is some stuff on this but its spread all over the place and kind of a mess, so...
At first I thought I should get a plexi head like a Marshall 1987x with a 1960 cab, but then I remembered that they're only 1 channel, so what do I do if I wanna switch between clean/OD channels? So I thought maybe a JCM2000 was the way to go? I've already got guitar setup/effects all worked out, so the only thing I'm missing here is a decent amp.
So here are the amps I've come up with:

•Marshall 1959 SLP
•Marshall 1987x (pretty much a 50W version of 1959)
•Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
•Marshall JCM 800 (2203) [again a single channel amp- but uberproaudio.com says this is the closest thing to a silver jubilee head]
•Laney amps? (I've been told that certain Laney amps come VERY close...though I will admit that I'm smitten with the idea of buying a marshall)

So if you guys could tell me which of these will do the best job of john's clean and OD tones (and is footswitchable) or suggest an amp you think is better or the same for cheaper that would be great. Just as long as its big enough to play large gigs and clear enough to record (money not an issue- not that I'm rich , but I have no reservations about saving and spending lots of money on an amp I'll have forever ).

(I'm posting this again cos no one replied)
why not get a marshall jubilee or major if money isn't an issue? those are the amps john uses.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
why not get a marshall jubilee or major if money isn't an issue? those are the amps john uses.

Thats a good point. I suppose because those amps are hard to find, plus the major is 200W which is just too big for me at the moment. And I suppose money is and issue at a certain point. I have heard stories about people getting mint condition majors for $200 and stuff like that, but its not the norm.
So basically I want a single head that can handle both
you can probably find a jubilee on ebay. ive seen a couple lower wattage jubilees on ebay for around 600 dollars.heres a 50 watt microstack on ebay for $220. im sure 50 watt tube would be enough.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-Silver-Jubilee-25-50-3005-Lead-12-micro-stack_W0QQitemZ250274389017QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250274389017&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

EDIT:also try out a fender supersonic. i can easily get a frusciante tone out of that amp. very good overdrive for a fender amp too.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Jul 26, 2008,
Check out ceriatone clones, you'll get a bang for your buck great sounding amp that way.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah, Ceriatone are making a great clones of Marshalls/Fenders. But I would go with JCM800 or find a silver jubilee... if You can buy a decent Marshall - there's nothing better than that
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.