Hi,
I know many people have asked this question but I still don't understand. I remember having seen a web site where it says that a 100 watts amp at 4 ohms will be louder than a 100 watts at 8 ohms. Is it true? If it's true, does a 45 watts at 2 ohms would be really less loud than 85 watts at 4 ohms even if both amps have 8 ohms speaker?

I have another question. Will 100 watts amp with 4 10" speaker be louder than a 100 watts amp with 2 12" speaker?

Thanks.
Last edited by antoine2055 at Jul 26, 2008,
If they have 8 ohm speakers, you shouldn't be running at any less than 8 or you'll almost definitely mess your amp/cabinet up.
hug your local pug dealer!
yes if they have the same wattage the lower impedance value is louder (a little bit)

The last thing you said is not possible, the amp utput has to be the same as the speakers. i.e. an 8 ohm amp must have 8 ohm speakers, not 2 or 4. you must match impedance values.

Impedance = resistance, for our purposes here, even though they are still slightly different.

a 2 ohm speaker will provide less impedance than an 8 ohm and thus it will be a little bit louder.
Quote by cody733
The last thing you said is not possible, the amp utput has to be the same as the speakers. i.e. an 8 ohm amp must have 8 ohm speakers, not 2 or 4. you must match impedance values.

I looked to the Fender web site and it says 85 watts into 4ohms. It says after two speaker at 8 ohms...

So between a 45 watts amp at 4 ohms and at 2 ohms the difference won't be really noticeable?
Last edited by antoine2055 at Jul 26, 2008,
i think wattage changes on solid state amps with impedance. not on valve amps.

regarding the speakers, it depends on the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers, though the 4x10 will probably move a bit more air.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think wattage changes on solid state amps with impedance. not on valve amps.

regarding the speakers, it depends on the sensitivity/efficiency of the speakers, though the 4x10 will probably move a bit more air.
Yeah, ohm's law and transformers and stuff.

Well ohmage makes a tiny difference. Apparently loads of about 2 ohms as found on vintage Fenders will give a brighter more Fendery tone wheras the higher loads of 16 ohms are darker and more characteristic of classic Marshalls. But you should pretty much always match the ohm loads of the amp and speaker.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by antoine2055
Hi,
I know many people have asked this question but I still don't understand. I remember having seen a web site where it says that a 100 watts amp at 4 ohms will be louder than a 100 watts at 8 ohms. Is it true? If it's true, does a 45 watts at 2 ohms would be really less loud than 85 watts at 4 ohms even if both amps have 8 ohms speaker?

I have another question. Will 100 watts amp with 4 10" speaker be louder than a 100 watts amp with 2 12" speaker?

Thanks.

No.

Wattage is a good quick guide to how loud an amp might be. Number of speakers (or total speaker surface area) plays a role, too - the more the louder. The next thing you'd want to do is find out the speaker efficiency. A seemingly small difference in efficiency could mean a big difference in volume.

Bottom line, though, is that you need to try 'em out. The Traynor YCV 50 is known for being a relatively quiet 50W, while the AC30 is a loud 33W.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.