single coil pickups can't handle distortion as well and are meant more for blues or softer styles of music...
humbuckers handle distortion better but have weaker clean sounds and they also don't make any unwanted humming or feedback that you may get from a single coil
Quote by ticklemeemo
A humbucker is a pickup with two magnets, the principle is that it doesn't pick up the signals from cell phones, microphones, etc like a single coil can.

Sorry, tickle. You are wrong. Most humbuckers have 12 magnets, not two. Single coils have 6 magnets, usually. An Exception: Any pickups with rail magnets instead of the normal magnets.

Also, Humbuckers usually sound fatter than single coils, and often have higher output.
D & D player.
If you don't like it, okay.
Yeah, humbuckers are supposed to get less interference and have a higher output then single coils. Generally, it depends on what specific pickups you're talking about. I have a set of Seymour Duncan Blackout humbuckers (they're active instead of passive, but that's a different kettle of fish), and they give less "noise" then most I've used, however the lead guitarist in my band uses Fender single coils and they get a louder, more "squealie" tone (and great bluesy sound at low volume), but he has to use a noise supressor pedal to get rid of the hum/fuzz.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by dorian91
Sorry, tickle. You are wrong. Most humbuckers have 12 magnets, not two. Single coils have 6 magnets, usually. An Exception: Any pickups with rail magnets instead of the normal magnets.

Also, Humbuckers usually sound fatter than single coils, and often have higher output.

Oops! I meant to say it has twice as much magnet as a single coil, or that its like two pickups in one.
Quote by dorian91

No, you're wrong.

The polepieces are NOT the magnets, the magnet is a bar underneath them - humbuckers have 2, single coils have one.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com