I've seen zakk wylde and mark tremonti do this a lot, its like trilling on the g string, and slowly dragging ur finger down the string to createa a harmonic noise. I cant get it to sound right. Cause im trilling like ---8--6--5-- on the g and slowly dragging my finger down. And i can get harmonics a little bit, but not as much as zakk wylde. Any suggestions?
idk exactly what you mean...
can u find a vid or something and point out an example for us?
Quote by Survivalism
Nobody knows the words to Evenflow, they all just go "bramamamamamamamamaamamamabooowwllofcornflakes"

The name's Zach!
auto flanging - it's basically artificial harmonics with the heel of your hand. just move your picking hand while trilling till you find sweet spots. and youll want some pretty heavy distortion btw.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
Just to clarify: you have to be very careful about the amount of pressure you use on the string you're trying to do it on; too much and you mute the string and too little and you end with a trill. It's all about experimentation but if you want to achieve a similar effect while you're getting that down you can tremolo pick the open G string and run your finger down it so it produces harmonics, it's not quite the same but for most situations it's an adequate substitute.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i fin it works best when using an open string in the trill. i usually do 5-3-0 on the G string and sometimes D string and then alternate between them
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
you just need some high gain and the right touch like someone said already, takes a bit to get use to. just practice and soon you will have a fury of harmonics
Quote by slayerfrk
i think zakk wylde uses a ring to do it but it is auto flanging or w/e

That's not quite the same; when Zakk does it with a ring the ring acts more like a slide which isn't the same thing as auto-flanging.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.