ok guys i have a Yamaha APX 500 acoustic electric guitar and i was wondering if its ok for people to write stuff on it with permanent white marker, like their names for example.

btw, My guitar has a black laminated top.

Would this damage it in any way?

Thanks again guys!
well Im not the one to ask but i know that there may be a chemical in the marker or whatever that doesnt go good with the top coat and may cause it to fade and stuff like that.

If im wrong, then apologies in advance
^ If you're not the one to ask, and don't know, then why post anything at all? Waste of space.

TS, think about what you're asking. Permanent marker = damage(sort of) since it's permanent. Once it's on there, it's on there right? About the only way to get it off again is to sand it out and refinish the guitar afterwords. Only do it if you're prepared to live with the sigs and whatnot on it for a long long time.
Will the marker eat through the top like sulfuric acid? No. Will it leave traces behind if you can somehow wipe if off later on? Of course it will. Besides the fact that you'd have to use some other harsh chemical to remove it, which could damage the finish more than the marker itself would.
zzz? not good... at all

unless if its a signature of andy mckee or any famous acoustic player out there...
Dont mess up your apx....

its a good guitar... ^^
she deserves a well preserved beauty..
Is there anything at all i would be able to use besides permanent marker?

Because i think theres some sort of marker one can use to write on guitars.
why are you doing this in the first place?
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
Because i think my guitar looks too plain and simple.

and it would be cool to have my friends and family sign it!
And when your friends betray you or something, do you REALLY want to see their sigs on your guitar?
Quote by shiroun
And when your friends betray you or something, do you REALLY want to see their sigs on your guitar?

hehehe nice point ^___^

if He gets mad, maybe He will soon smash his guitar ^__^

thats bad though.
Don't do it. Here are some reasons:

1) Permanent marker is not always permanent. Use it on a glossy surface, and there's a good chance that it'll smudge or fade - especially on areas that are in contact with your arm and body while you play.

2) Like LeftyDave said, when you realize that it's starting to look like crap, you won't be able to completely remove what's left without damaging the finish.

3) There will be a few friends that will stick with you for a long, long time - but for the most part, friends come and go. So is it really such a great idea in the first place?

4) If you ever decide you want to upgrade to a better guitar, the one you have now will be totally worthless to anyone but you. No one will pay for a guitar that's covered in random people's names - you might not even be able to give it away for free.
i'd customize it in a different way...it could still look cool, but still be able to be sold if need be.

but i'm not sure how.
Quote by GiantRaven
You are not human.

I am totally serious.

Quote by tilinmyowngrave
I was inspired by someone saying they had Millionaire on their Ipod

he's talking about me!
well i just want my guitar to look unique and make it my own. i dont want someone else with the same guitar to look like mine.
I dont know but do you make your own clothes too...?

Your style should be what you play, not how you look like.

Quote by Zulis309
Your style should be what you play, not how you look like.

Well said!