Hey everyones !

I've been listening alot at some John Mayer recently and I'm questioning myself on something very precise, I own a MIM Stratocaster and a Fender Blues Junior amp and I can't get a «smooth» sound like on John's songs. Ok, I know I have the cheap gear but I'm wondering what makes his sound SO much smoother than mine, and what can I do to try to get a more likely sound ?
well he uses tube amps n sometimes tube/state hybrids. could also be his strings, picks, pickups, pedals etc. but never forget that true tone is in the fingers.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Have you tried using the neck pickup? That's usually a big part of it.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
You can get pretty close with your current set-up. Dial in a bit more mids on the amp and bring the treble down a hair to get a midrangey smoother sound. Also use the neck pick-up. Lots of it is in your fingers as well, so practice practice practice!
Simple: HIM. He is one hell of a smooth player, smoothnes doesn't come from amp/gat, it's ALL in the fingers.

I'm sure someone will tell you to buy an EQ pedal though, that seems to be the magic cure for everything round here...
Gats:
Fender US Vintage 70's Strat, Modded Epi LP, Ibanez RBM-1
Amp:
Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20
Pedals:
Catalinbread Semaphore, Red WitchPhaser, Line 6 FM-4, Ibanez SM-9, Ibanez SD-9, Morely Bad Horsie, TC Electronic Nova Delay