Im gonna buy new pickups soon and i wanna make shure that i do the right choice. I mostly play metal and alot of leads, but I still want pretty versatile pickups. So id like people to give me their opinions on what pickups i should buy and what pickups they preffer.(Oh and by the way, I dont want single-coils, only humbuckers)
Emg
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
yeah i'm looking for new pups for my ibanez, currently got stock ones in. i'm thinking EMGs are the way to go for a metal sound, which is what i want.
this may sound really stupid but in my experience emgs sound great in an overdriven clean channel but horrible in a high gain channel. You should also consider the amp you will be playing them in.... That said, if it's solid state it probably doesn't really matter what pickups you get.
oh right i forgot to precise... im using emg-hz pickups right now, ther'e the stock pickups. they are passive and are pretty the cheap emgs.
what amp are you using? what do you dislike about your tone?
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
what amp are you using? what do you dislike about your tone?

I use a line 6 spidervalve 212, and there's not really anything i dislike that muh aboutt the tone i just want more output and also these pups tend to be noisy.
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
this may sound really stupid but in my experience emgs sound great in an overdriven clean channel but horrible in a high gain channel. You should also consider the amp you will be playing them in.... That said, if it's solid state it probably doesn't really matter what pickups you get.

Im using a tube amp, more precisely a Line 6 spidervalve wich is all tube sound except the signal goes through digital modeling before hitting the power tubes. What pickups would you recomend if i play metal but still want versatilaty and a good clean sound?
do you want actives or passives?
for actives, i would say 81/60 combo or Duncan Blackouts.
for passives, i would say Duncan Custom/Jazz combo or Dimarzio Drop Sonic/Air Norton.
have you tried to plug your guitar through a different tube amp? i would say try it first before you get new pickups. maybe it's your amp that you dislike, not the pickups.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Bareknuckle Nailbombs are really versatile. I modded my Highway 1 Strat with a Nailbomb on the bridge pickup. Sounds awesome for high input needs, plus, you can get ringing cleans when used with a combo of blue/red Lace Sensors
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
SH-6 Duncan Distortion. Or a SH-4 JB.
Last edited by 667 at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
What's wrong with your tone now?

Shouldn't you be able to dial in whatever you need from the Spider Valve?

what i dont like about these pickups is that they tend to be a little muddy wich gives me an unfocused tone. i also want more output/
Gear: Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Spidervalve
Hamer CX Series
Boss MT-2 Metal zone
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
My vote is for Bareknuckles or any high end passives... Emgs into a modeling amp will usually result in some pretty nasty tone even really high output passives can result in some pretty nasty tone...
You don't need high output pickups if you have a solid state amp. Get some good PAF's with covers to help reduce the noise. Seymour duncan 59's are great bang for your buck but if you want top quality then get some hand wound pickups. Given your amp I think that the Duncans would be more than enough pickup for you though.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by rolandcube30x
Im using a tube amp, more precisely a Line 6 spidervalve wich is all tube sound except the signal goes through digital modeling before hitting the power tubes. What pickups would you recomend if i play metal but still want versatilaty and a good clean sound?

which means it's not all tube, it's a hybrid. not to say it's bad, but to say that it's all tube would be incorrect.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Oh... I midread the post and just saw line 6 spider. That changes things

Is your guitar basswood, mahogany, or alder?

Do you want an open chime with strong tight lows, or do you want thick and midheavy?
i agree with corduroy ew on staying away from the high output pick ups if you want clarity and note definition.....that and lower your pick up

i also had the same quest from a bridge pick up...i found it in a dimarzio drop sonic...

here are some of the pick ups i tried before the drop sonic.

dimarzio evo,...this pick up sounded horrible in my guitar.
duncan detonator..(cheap...but not bad surprisingly!
an original bill lawrence xl500...(for a high out put pick up,...it came pretty close...)
gibson 490/500 set..(pretty good)

(i have a gibson sg)(mahogany)

i usually suggest "trying before buying"...but with pick ups this isnt such a easy thing to do.

good luck
Quote by CorduroyEW
Oh... I midread the post and just saw line 6 spider. That changes things

Is your guitar basswood, mahogany, or alder?

Do you want an open chime with strong tight lows, or do you want thick and midheavy?

My guitar is basswood, and i want a thick midheavy sound.
Gear: Jackson DXMG
Line 6 Spidervalve
Hamer CX Series
Boss MT-2 Metal zone
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Well I've got a few humbuckers that would be good. My warm Heritage would work great as a bridge and a neck pickup for you. If you want really high output passive pickup (almost as high as active EMG's) I've got my beefbucker which is very clear and sounds good clean too but you have to turn the volume on the guitar way down to get those clean tones.

Of all the name brand pickups I think the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 is probably your best bet. It's got a slightly higher resonate frequency that sound much better in basswood than the slightly hotter pickups do. DiMarzio Breeds are good if you don't mind compressed clean tone.

Because it's basswood I would stay away from things like the JB or the Nail bomb because they have too much upper midrange and the guitar will sound nasal.