Ok a few days ago i broke my first string and re-strung my guitar and etc, im learning fade to black and theres a part where we bend the high E string full (2 bars) and i cant do it, im afraid of breaking my strings, is there anyway around this?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
try to break it and it wont break... reverse sycology (sp?) FTW! lol

really, it was probably an old/bad string, it shouldnt happen again
Yeah, get over it.

A new set of strings shoulden't break for a good long while. Make sure you're cleaning them when you get done playing, but don't be afraid of em. Sure, occasionally you'll snap one, but it's not going to happen every single time you bend or so many guitarists woulden't do em'.

Not trying to be rude, just being up front.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
bendslide so bend it and slide so you dont have to go so hight or run slinkys there good for bending
i broke my high e string and it snapped up and hit me in the eye. i had to go to the emergency room because it cut my eye.

short story even shorter: don't be a wuss....chances are very slim that it will break.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
don't do it.

any and all bends have been proven to break any and all strings.
you don't want to take that risk.
i broke a couple of high e's when bending at the 22nd fret when i first got my new guitar a few months back, haven't had a problem since though. don't worry about it.
im pretty sure it breaks when ur string gets rusted up so i would just clean it from time to time
Quote by ticklemeemo
Jesus Christ, how do people do this? Here's my advice, get an Ibanez. I've never broken a string and that's all I've got.

Buddy, I don't think he's going to go buy a new guitar so that he can bend. Oh, and the type of guitar has nothing to do with whether or not you break the string. The string is what matters. You'll break one eventually.
Quote by SlashYourFug
Buddy, I don't think he's going to go buy a new guitar so that he can bend. Oh, and the type of guitar has nothing to do with whether or not you break the string. The string is what matters. You'll break one eventually.

the string, the bridge, and the nut to be technical.

but yeah TS, you shouldn't have a problem. put some new strings on, stretch em out a bit, and if they keep breaking, try another brand of strings.
for the love of god DON'T DO IT any bend whatsoever on any string will inevitably break the string and hit you in the eye causing you to feel pain like you have never known
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
haha yeah, i dont care about having to buy new strings but im afraid it would hit my eye, nothing to laugh about, i broke my high E string while bending 20th fret (playing one haha) and snap and i was like "*insert swear word*" i closed my eyes emmedietly the string just hit my arm but nothing happened, so now i can only bend 1/2 way

how do i clean the strings? i dont have any polisher or anything.

@ticklemeemo
dude...why the heck would i buy a new guitar just so i can bend?
im going to bend it full everytime before i play very slowly, and that would probably increase my confidence in it haha

@garou1911
i didnt find it rude :p

@funkbass61
so what happened to your eye?
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
I really don't think the e string hitting your eye would be something thaaat serious, im sure its painfull but I don't think you will go blind or someting
Quote by ticklemeemo
Jesus Christ, how do people do this? Here's my advice, get an Ibanez. I've never broken a string and that's all I've got.

@ticklemeemo: The guitar has nothing to do with the strings breaking.

@ Original Post: If it really bothers you and you think you're going to break your high E string, get a lighter gauge set. You might need to try several different kinds because depending on how high the your guitars frets are, a lighter gauge might cause the sting to go out of tune at certain frets when pressure is applied.
TO TS: i had to put some weird drops in my eyes that stung like crazy and i had to wear an eye patch for a couple weeks....awesome.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
You don't need anything special. Cut up a plain white undershirt or get some cloth rags at a hardware store for $2 and just wipe the strings off. If you want, while you're at the hardware store get some 3-in-1 oil and coat the strings with it while you clean em to help protect against rust and corrosion, but a plain ol' dry rag will wipe away the hand oils and general gunk that they collect. Seriously, take a close look at your strings and notice all the built up gunk on there. That's what causes em to snap.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by iantheman
for the love of god DON'T DO IT any bend whatsoever on any string will inevitably break the string and hit you in the eye causing you to feel pain like you have never known

Quote by ticklemeemo

Quote by Crimzin3
The Myth: Mesa amps were given to us by God, and sound as such.
The Truth: True. God is the CEO and Jesus does QC at Mesa...yup.

LOL, reminds me of this kid who was holding a bass by it's E string and lifting it up and down in the air (full wieght of the guitar on the E string) then it broke an cut across his neck as deep as a scratch from a cat. He was freaking out and coughing because he though he was dying, ooh joy.
Quote by powerchord117
@ Original Post: If it really bothers you and you think you're going to break your high E string, get a lighter gauge set. You might need to try several different kinds because depending on how high the your guitars frets are, a lighter gauge might cause the sting to go out of tune at certain frets when pressure is applied.

Umm... Don't you mean heavier gauge strings?
bottom line get new strings and bend away
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Are you scared to drive your car(or ride your bike) after having a flat tire? Put new strings on it and get over it. Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, snaps strings once in a while.
Quote by VanMaidenFan88
Umm... Don't you mean heavier gauge strings?

nah, the lighter the gauge, the more resistance it has to tension, so you can bend the string farther
Quote by funkbass369
TO TS: i had to put some weird drops in my eyes that stung like crazy and i had to wear an eye patch for a couple weeks....awesome.

Hey man I hope I get hit in the eye.... I then won't be made fun of for pretending to be a pirate!!!!!! It was probably a really old string. Also if it was on a squier the strings that come on those always break easily. It happened to me and I still can't be a pirate. ONE DAY I will be a pirate!
Ahhh the string bend trauma.
You will get over it , just chill out and bend the **** out of that ****er.
I remember when i broke my high e, penetrated my skin and went 2 or 3 inches up my arm, hurt like a mother.

Just bend it, if it couldnt be done it wouldn't have been written
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
here's my advice.
first, as others have already said, get a new set of strings. id suggest you those ernie ball extra slinky ones. pink package with an eagle on it, cant miss it. ive been doing 1 1/2 bends with those, and they take it fine.
second, string maintenance is important. a good method that ive been taught is to get one of those cloths for glasses and wipe your strings after every time you play, to ensure no moisture is left behind. it can keep your strings from rusting a long time, even without any string oil. i live in a very moist country, and they can last a good many months without a trace of rust. strings without that treatment here can rust within weeks.
as for your trauma, don't worry too much about it. many of the times my strings have snapped, they just get limp and fall, without bouncing up. on the rare occasion that they do snap up, just make sure your head isn't too close to the guitar and you won't suffer any major injuries.
Quote by ticklemeemo

Pretty true, I have a Les Paul Epiphone, they don't break strings either. But my Ibanez Acoustic-Electric hasn't broken a string yet.
just get new strings...
buy them and bend the hell out of them...
they can come dirt cheap...
(look on ebay)

i have a dozen sets lying around...
Quote by Zaio
I really don't think the e string hitting your eye would be something thaaat serious, im sure its painfull but I don't think you will go blind or someting

My sister had a small 250ml bottle thrown at her, and it hit her in the eye. Shes blind in that eye now and it was only filled with a little bit of water.

If that can make you blind, im sure if a thin metal string under alot of tension hitting in the right place can make you blind.

Threadstarter:
Strings snap. Thats what happens. I've had strings hit me in the face, on the leg when im wearing shorts, on the hand. You get an inital pain, but it quickly goes.

Just remember to routinely change your strings and keep them clean. I change mine every month whether they snap or not.
Been away, am back
If your a teenager like me and most other people on this forum I'm sure you have like oxy pads or some sort of acne pads laying around. When your done playing just take your strings and wipe them off with these and them a paper towel, it takes the rust and finger oils right off and increases longevity of the strings too.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I once wore that shirt and it got me so many bitches my penis got a rash from gropage.
Quote by Garou1911
You don't need anything special. Cut up a plain white undershirt or get some cloth rags at a hardware store for $2 and just wipe the strings off. If you want, while you're at the hardware store get some 3-in-1 oil and coat the strings with it while you clean em to help protect against rust and corrosion, but a plain ol' dry rag will wipe away the hand oils and general gunk that they collect. Seriously, take a close look at your strings and notice all the built up gunk on there. That's what causes em to snap.

When I started lessons this was the first thing that I learned, it is seriously one of the best things to do for your playing.

I wash my hands most of the time before I play and I still wipe off black gunk after practice. It makes your strings last sooooo much longer.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪