I picked up a '91 Fender Prodigy body. I can't get my hands on the original neck (which can be seen ). I've never had to replace a neck before, and I am suffering from some severe information overload.

I've been looking at Warmoths, Allparts, USACG, Musikraft, Mighty Mite, everything I can find information about. I've scoured eBay and there are about a zillion necks of unknown origin, as well as some MIM Fender necks.

As a newbie to the technical aspects of my guitar, I am floundering to put it lightly. I want something that will fit and feel good, but I can't seem to find any absolutes as far as what is the best value for my money.

In short, I'm trying to replicate the original neck as closely as I can. Basically, a one piece maple neck/fretboard, 25.5 scale, 1 5/8" at the nut, satin finish, etc. The original was a MIM 22 fret, but I don't really care about that. I found some new MIM "genuine" Fenders that match this pretty closely on (Invalid img). Does anybody have any idea what sort of quality I might be looking at with the eBay necks? Am I really going to notice a huge difference between that and say a Warmoth of twice the cost? One advantage I see to the genuine necks is that they are 100% ready to go out of the box (supposedly), whereas a USACG I suppose needs a nut, a Warmoth maple/maple might need the finish removed from the frets or have the frets levelled...

If anyone can give me some pointers on how to approach this problem, I'd really appreciate it. I am trying to spend less than $300, if that matters.
The bbsteelguitar link for the Prodigy isn't valid ...

If you're asking about the eBay seller, he has a nice feedback score although I'm not sure how he orders directly from the Fender Baja factory.

If you want to go with 22 frets, wait for a MIA Strat neck. I see a lot of Highway Ones and AV '57 RIs on eBay. Is the neck pocket on yours slightly rounded like the Strat; or, is it flat like the Tele?

^that link works for me

I'm going to order a neck from musikraft. They look great. But I don't know if it would fit your body. They say their necks are standard fender dimensions- but fender's own dimensions may have changed since '91. BTW if it is a tele style neck pocket, then a strat neck will still fit it (but not the other way around).

Ippon: You can get a MIA neck for $300? That sounds tempting...
Quote by supergerbil
^that link works for me

I'm going to order a neck from musikraft. They look great. But I don't know if it would fit your body. They say their necks are standard fender dimensions- but fender's own dimensions may have changed since '91. BTW if it is a tele style neck pocket, then a strat neck will still fit it (but not the other way around).

Ippon: You can get a MIA neck for $300? That sounds tempting...

Ahh ... working now, must've lost connection while moving from WiFi to another.

I love Musikraft necks and bodies ... I still have a few. They're priced better than the Warmoths and I see no difference in the high quality ... but then I'm not a pro and haven't handled that many.

You can get used Fender MIA necks for way cheaper than $300 ... depending on how patient and how good you are with sniping.

The used MIJ Fender necks are very good, too, and sell for even less than the used MIAs. Right now, I'm assembling/modding/refinishing a MIA Highway One Jazz Bass which will be mated with a MIJ PBass neck. I prefer the PBass neck's beefier profile.

Also, I don't think the Strat neck pocket and heel dimensions have changed from the original. I may be wrong though.

Quote by Ippon
The bbsteelguitar link for the Prodigy isn't valid ...

If you're asking about the eBay seller, he has a nice feedback score although I'm not sure how he orders directly from the Fender Baja factory.

Yeah, that seemed really weird. The necks LOOK good in the pictures, so who knows. Very tempting for the price, and he's been quick to answer questions.

Quote by Ippon

If you want to go with 22 frets, wait for a MIA Strat neck. I see a lot of Highway Ones and AV '57 RIs on eBay. Is the neck pocket on yours slightly rounded like the Strat; or, is it flat like the Tele?

When I'm skilled enough to need that extra fret, I'll replace the neck again

The pocket is slightly rounded. I took a crack at measuring it, but without something precise like calipers my numbers are highly suspect. I measured the pocket width out at 2-1/4" which seems too wide from the standard 2-3/16". A local luthier plopped some random strat neck he had into it and it seemed to fit, but I didn't notice how snugly (btw, I'd rather not deal with him -- he just happened to be the only guy in town with a strat neck in stock).

Quote by supergerbil

I was looking at those too... getting the neck finished would put me right at $300... that's even more than the Warmoth I estimated! I wonder if I'm missing something on their site? Some of these places (especially USACG) have extremely confusing sites as far as pricing and options go.

Quote by Ippon

The used MIJ Fender necks are very good, too, and sell for even less than the used MIAs. Right now, I'm assembling/modding/refinishing a MIA Highway One Jazz Bass which will be mated with a MIJ PBass neck. I prefer the PBass neck's beefier profile.

Also, I don't think the Strat neck pocket and heel dimensions have changed from the original. I may be wrong though.

Would this be the Allparts varieties? The drawback I saw to those is that they were all unfinished, so who knows how much it would cost me to get that and then take it somewhere local to get it finished (assuming it even fits my pocket).

Hmm.

Can you guys think of any questions I could ask the eBay guy to get more of a feel for those genuine necks? I don't want to cut costs for something inferior, but I also don't want to miss a great deal, you know? I just have no real way of knowing whether some of these individual seller necks are actually deals.

Edit: Forgot to thank you both for your replies: Thanks!
Last edited by ironcladlou at Jul 27, 2008,
Musikraft necks are also sold by jamerson and jamco on eBay and they're also sealed to prevent warping. I was thinking you were going to re-finish the non-Fender or replacement neck yourself. Poly or Nitro are so easy to apply/spray.Also, putting the nut of choice yourself is straightforward. Why pay for easy stuff, or stuff you can do yourself?

The only thing I can think of asking are the usual safety questions: What is the return policy if something's wrong, what is considered wrong, who pays shipping, timeframe for replacement, cosmetic condition, usability condition (straight, no dead frets, etc.).

Good Luck and consider doing some of the work yourself.

Quote by Ippon
Musikraft necks are also sold by jamerson and jamco on eBay and they're also sealed to prevent warping. I was thinking you were going to re-finish the non-Fender or replacement neck yourself. Poly or Nitro are so easy to apply/spray.Also, putting the nut of choice yourself is straightforward. Why pay for easy stuff, or stuff you can do yourself?

I laughed out loud at that! I have absolutely no experience working with wood in any capacity. I had planned on getting it pre-finished or taking an unfinished piece to someone who knows what they are doing.

So poly finishing is just a spray? I guess spraying over the frets doesn't seem to be an issue since Warmoth does it for the maples... hm. I had never really thought about it too much, I guess. I will do a little more research into it.

I also hadn't thought about the nut. I was under the impression it had to be filed or otherwise modified somehow, and probably attached with special glue. I guess that is something else I can look into.

Quote by Ippon

The only thing I can think of asking are the usual safety questions: What is the return policy if something's wrong, what is considered wrong, who pays shipping, timeframe for replacement, cosmetic condition, usability condition (straight, no dead frets, etc.).

Good Luck and consider doing some of the work yourself.

I had already started asking about the return policy, but hadn't thought about asking things about the frets being dead, etc. I will make it a point to bring that up.

You have definitely given me some things to think about. Thanks!
The basic requirements for what you can do above (refinishing and nut):
1. 4th grade-level Reading and Comprehension
2. Opposable thumbs (very important)
3. Patience. It's key.

A little anxiety/hesitancy is good. Makes you pause before doing something irreversible.