Poll: Should I spend most of my gear money on a nice guitar or effects?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should I spend most of my gear money on a nice guitar or effects?
Guitar
23 92%
Effects
2 8%
Voters: 25.
I'm at a bit of a loss right now. I'm going to be selling off a bunch of gear (5150, Floyd strat, effects) soon and I have two options. I can either spend most of the money on a nice guitar (I'm thinking strat) or I can spend most of it on effects (Sweetsound Mojo Vibe, Teese RMC-3, Analogman Sunface, etc.).

I already have a few great pedals that I could live with (Zen, Keeley TS-9, wah, etc.) if I happen to get a gig, plus the RXES just sounds good on its own. My original plan was to go for the pedals and get a cheaper guitar or save up for a few for the guitar, but now I'm thinking otherwise. I will be going back to college in about 3 weeks and as a guitar major, I need a guitar that plays well, and my MIM tele and LP copy play well, but the Tele is a bit hard to wrangle at times and doesn't really work for the jazz chords, and the LP copy is just too heavy to lug around. On the other hand, effects are fun to play with, and open me up to new ways of thinking about guitar.

So my question is this: Do I go for the guitar or the effects? If you have any other helpful suggestions, I'm open!
Last edited by stuey22 at Jul 27, 2008,
It sounds like the guitar would be the better choice, plus you could always get a job while in college and get new effects then.
i voted effects because a good guitar won't make you good but you already have some effects from the looks of it. maybe a little bit of both?
Guitar all the way, effects are good and all, but not nessecary. After all you kinda...need a guitar to well...play guitar. Id take an $800 guitar over $800 worth of pedals any day. The new, better guitar will improve your overall sound a ton while pedals will just help you refine your current one. Id go for a nice Fender strat if thats what your in the market for, or otherwise. What kind of guitar are you looking at and whats the price range?
I'm looking for a strat mainly. After I sell all this gear off, I'm looking at a little under $2000.
Quote by madshatter
i voted effects because a good guitar won't make you good but you already have some effects from the looks of it. maybe a little bit of both?

And would effects make you good?

I would get the guitar, you can't go wrong with an American Strat!
Cam Sampbell's my hero
if you want to be a great guitarist, you dont want to mask true talent with a load of effects...i mean, effects are great and very fun but you probably want to get good on a good guitar first and then worry about effects...just look at Angus Young...he barley ever used effects and look how great he was...im just saying man...effects wont make you better, hard word and practice will...good luck buddy, i hope guitar works for you man
Quote by stuey22
I'm looking for a strat mainly. After I sell all this gear off, I'm looking at a little under $2000.

well then shouldnt you have plenty of money for a strat and effects?
Well if you are going to have to be carrying your guitar around a lot look into

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Steinberger-Synapse-ST2FPA-TranScale-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519146

If thats not your thing(which I don't expect it to be) go for the american strat, you can't go wrong.

I say mainly focus on the guitar and depending on what you get you will have enough for a couple of nice pedals.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
i would definately say an American strat, maybe a deluxe i believe theyre called. A little under 2k is plentey to get a nice guitar and effects. Unless, that is, yo want an ESP custom shop