Hey, Im planning on making a nice mirror-like shiny pickguard for my LTD EX-260. Ive made a template out of bristol board and i know someone who can cut it for me. What is a good metal to use for this thing? I was thinking aluminum but my dad can get a good deal on stainless steel but i was reading that the steel might interfere with the pickups?
Gibson Les Paul + Orange Tiny Terror = Sex
try using a fabrication sheet metal. like for a/c ducts. its mirrored and its easy to cut
ground it, it won't interfere. Aluminum would be good, sheet metal might be cool, but make sure its of decent thickness.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
I did that before. I used sheet metal. 18 guage. It was tough to cut with the jig saw though, so parts are a bit wobbly, but it adds character and looks cool. I did a quick scuff sand and painted mine though with engine enamel. No chips yet. And it looks good, and works as shielding.
Go with the stainless. It's less magnetic than steel, and harder than both steel and aluminum.
Sheet metal isn't a type of metal you realise?

Polished copper.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Stainless Steel is non magnetic. I would go for 304 stainless instead of 316 since you don't need all the chemical resistance of 316. If you can get the pickguard drawn up on cad you may be able to get a fabrication place to cut it for you on a CNC mill.
Quote by PainIsPower
I did that before. I used sheet metal. 18 guage. It was tough to cut with the jig saw though, so parts are a bit wobbly, but it adds character and looks cool. I did a quick scuff sand and painted mine though with engine enamel. No chips yet. And it looks good, and works as shielding.

That is very cool. How did you cut it?
I just used a jig saw with a metal blade and had at it. Cut it just larger then my line. I used a board under it hanging over the bench so I wouldnt cut the bench. I had to keep my cutting really close to the board though or else the metal would flap around and bend. If it did, I just took out a rubber mallet and flattened it back down. The Pup sports were a pain to cut. It also took for ever to do, and some of the edges are a bit wavy, as is warped because I couldn't get it to go perfectly flat after it shook. I just took a file to it after to smooth off the edges and bring everything to size. Then I just drilled everything. I ran into problems drilling the bigger holes though. But what I did to fix that was just used a small pilot hole, and then drilled the big hole into a piece of scrap, and clamped the hole over where I wanted the hole to be, and drilled it like that. If I didn't do that, the bit was tearing the metal. After a scuff sand, and spray. Its got some awsome character to it, and when played unplugged, it sounds a little bit louder then other unplugged electrics.
Quote by solid_moose
Sheet metal isn't a type of metal you realise?

Polished copper.

Nonsense. It depends on what you get.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
1/16" mirrored plexiglas, easy to work with, looks great but can be hard to find sometimes
Takes a Knockin' and Keeps on Rockin" DOA #08-01502
diomond plated copper
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club