I've been having some tough times trying to get down SRV-style vibrato, and I'm wondering what I may do to help my consistency a bit.

I have been using D'Addario .11 blues/jazz strings for over a year and a half now. My hands just aren't right for these bends... i need something lighter.

The odd thing is, I just put on elixir .10s for a lighen-up, and they actually were harder for me to bend. Felt TOTALLY different.

What are some good strings you can reccomend that lose their tension, but not so much their tone? Thanks =)
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Give the strings a while before they lose a little tension. They'll get easier to bend. New strings are always like that.

I always thought hybrid slinkies were pretty cool. The top 3 strings are 9,11 and 16, so they bend pretty easily.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Give the strings a while before they lose a little tension. They'll get easier to bend. New strings are always like that.

I always thought hybrid slinkies were pretty cool. The top 3 strings are 9,11 and 16, so they bend pretty easily.

Is it possible to get those, top heavy? Say some bottom strings around .45?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by beadhangingOne

SRV used heavy strings from what I can gather though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Not sure. You could just buy individual strings at what gauge you want, although that might be more expensive. Why do you want top heavy strings?

Quote by aznrockerdude
SRV used heavy strings from what I can gather though.

Yea he did (13's ) , but thinner strings, I find, are easier to bend.
The problem I have with most string sets (bottom-heavy and even standard gauges) is that the tops are too thin to hold on to for big bends.
So he wants something in the 10-12 range up top but in the mid to high 40s on the bottom.
Best bet is to buy a pack of 9s and a pack of 10s and run the trebles from the 10s and the bass strings from the 9s.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by beadhangingOne

Yea he did (13's ) , but thinner strings, I find, are easier to bend.

That's my point though, I'm guessing that the TS wants a SRV tone and yet be able to bend.

Lower action?

EDIT: didn't he downtune too?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Like....this

EDIT: The ones you put seem like a better deal, though.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
Like....this

EDIT: The ones you put seem like a better deal, though.

Those are exactly the same gauge as hybrid slinky. Also, he wants heavier top end.

TS, you could check power slinky. theyre 11-48, so close to what you're looking for.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Those are exactly the same gauge as hybrid slinky. Also, he wants heavier top end.

TS, you could check power slinky. theyre 11-48, so close to what you're looking for.

Nope.
I have been using D'Addario .11 blues/jazz strings for over a year and a half now. My hands just aren't right for these bends... i need something lighter.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I'd almost advise to try and find a set of 10 1/2s. I think GHS does them, but I'm not entirely sure. It sounds like they'd be lighter but wouldn't feel too much different.

I can't give any solid advice, as I've never used 10 1/2s. I just know how weird it feels to play on strings that aren't the 'right' gauge.
Try DR nickel string .10 or .11's. On the low E, it's respectively a .48 and a .50. DR's also are lighter feeling than their gauge would suggest, great for bends.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!