Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I couldnt remember if this goes in here, or Electric Guitar, redirect me if I'm in the wrong here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZspGWM-aWs&feature=related

I'm looking for the kind of violinish sound they're getting, I cant for the life of me figure out what it is.

If you could tell me what they're using to get that sound, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

i dont know about that particular sound in the vid, but ur looking for an ebow i think, they usually go for around $100
Oh, your thinking of the Roland Searchbar 2000X.
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
I get a kind sound from putting on the neck pickup with a compressor and fuzz chained right after it. smooth, and nice.

EDIT: oh the video sound though...hmm....dunno xD
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
I knew it was that video. I think there have been at least 2-3 threads about this same thing. The general consensus is that it's a backingtrack with the same notes or something like that. You can achieve that kind of a sound by using a guitar synth like a Roland GR-20 (comes with it's own midi pickups). An ebow achieves similar sounds too, although it's harder to use I believe.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I may be wrong but Jason Becker and Malmsteen used to turn the volume knobs down and up very quickly with slight echo to immitate the violin sound.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Quote by Attack
I may be wrong but Jason Becker and Malmsteen used to turn the volume knobs down and up very quickly with slight echo to immitate the violin sound.

thats called swelling, not the technique we are looking for here though
but none the less great technique
classic example of that is dream theater - scared
Last edited by Martindecorum at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by Attack

That works a little too, but I think it might not work for that video because you'd see them doing it, and they play pretty fast (if I remember right). A volume pedal would work too.

It'll sound somewhat like a viollin because basically, string instruments aren't that easy to differentiate - the main thing why guitar sounds different to a violin is the attack. Using quick volume swells you can remove the twangy attack guitars usually have and replace it with a swelling sound so it sounds more like a violin.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
you know that the violin is in the back track,it confused me alot,you cant hear the guitar too well in that vid