Hi,
I play music with my friends that play bass and drums and i'm getting one of these two amps. I will take an amp that can stay clean even at high volume. I don't think I'll play bigger places than a 300 people anditorium. I also play a lot alone at home. I've heard that the twin reverb is too loud for what i'm going to do with it and the tone won't be at his best at low volume. Should I take the Super Reverb because it would be more suitable for what I'm going to do with it?

Thanks.
I have a Super Reverb and it is fantastic. Greatest cleans I have ever had the chance to play. I can plus into the second input on the vibrato channel and turn it up to about 4 or 5 and get it to breakup a bit. It isn't too terribly loud, but I wouldn't turn it past 2 unless you have an empty house and nice neighbors. Never played a Twin Reverb so I can't really compare the two.
Do you think you can play a 300 people show and with a drums and a bass without the amp to break up?
Ok thanks for your advice but I think I'm going to get the Twin Reverb... I saw that it's the same price for 40 watts more than the Super Reverb. I don't know why Fender sell these two amps for the same price... In fact, I juste saw that the Super Reverb is 50$ more...
Last edited by antoine2055 at Jul 27, 2008,
Play them first. A 4x10 would be voiced differently than a 2x12/1x15. I myself prefer the Super Reverb.
Quote by antoine2055
Ok thanks for your advice but I think I'm going to get the Twin Reverb... I saw that it's the same price for 40 watts more than the Super Reverb. I don't know why Fender sell these two amps for the same price... In fact, I juste was that the Super Reverb is 50$ more...

They probably sell them like that so people that are shopping for amps can get different sounds for the same price. More watts=/=better. Sure you will get more headroom, but for 300 people auditoriums you won't need it. You could get away with micing a 5 watter if you really wanted to.
Micing an amp is putting a microphone in front of the amp which would then go into the PA system so you don't have to crank it.
Micing is when the venue at which the gig is at has a PA system. You will use a microphone to hook it up to the PA so the amp really doesn't have to be that loud. Not all places will have them, but I imagine a place with 300 people would.

A middy sound is a sound with more midrange frequencies than a sound that isn't middy. Fenders are notoriously American voiced which means the amps are usually naturally made without many mids. Amps like Marshall and Vox are known for being British voiced which means they have a lot of mids naturally.
Quote by antoine2055
Do you think you can play a 300 people show and with a drums and a bass without the amp to break up?

You could probably play a football stadium without the amp breaking up. They're loud.
Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Thanks for you explainations. Do you know if it can takes pedal like overdrive, distortion, delay well?
Yes, it takes those pedals well IF you can EQ it all correctly. Obviously, anything'll sound bad if you can't EQ it.
why didnt you just do some simple math before starting this thread, if one amp is 85 watts and one is 40 wich one do you think will have the most head room.

thats ok wait a bit.

wait you got it yet, no not yet, ok ill give you some more time.

correct yes it is the twin reverb, good for you, you deserve a gold star.
but seriesly you couldnt have figured it out yourself.
The question is not about headroom but the sound. Because I know 85 watts is louder than 45 but doesn't mean it's better like two people said in this thread.
Quote by antoine2055
The question is not about headroom but the sound. Because I know 85 watts is louder than 45 but doesn't mean it's better like two people said in this thread.

its a twin reverb man, enough said how cant it sound good.
but then again tone varies from person to person so i say you go try em out and see what you think.
but the 100 watter would be more ideal for you for when you practice at home.
To me, the Super Reverb is the Momma Bear of of the Reverb series - it's just right for gigging. But the main reason I say that is that I like a little bit of crunch to my sound available. The Super should have plenty of power for cleans in front of 300 people, but also have the ability to get that dirty/bluesy tone without deafening them.

Ten inch speakers have more of an immediate attack to them. Because of their smaller size, the sound reaches the edge of the cone that splitsecond faster, which will separate the notes just a little bit more and actually serve to enhance your cleans.

And no, more watts does not automatically equal better. If that were the case, I'd direct your towards a Marshall Mode Four.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
To me, the Super Reverb is the Momma Bear of of the Reverb series - it's just right for gigging. But the main reason I say that is that I like a little bit of crunch to my sound available. The Super should have plenty of power for cleans in front of 300 people, but also have the ability to get that dirty/bluesy tone without deafening them.

+1. You won't get any natural drive out of the twin reverb without deafening people. the closest i've ever gotten by using a twin reverb is with a clean boost - but even then it was insanely loud and still only a tiny little bit of drive - it would push the volume up to almost deafening levels with the volume little higher than 2... i guess that turning the volume up, since it was starting to break up a little in the preamp, would make it drive more? i didn't dare turn it up, because it already was too loud for the room it was in.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
When I went amp shopping it was between these two as well.

I liked them both, but went with the Twin.

Looking back, I might have went with the Super. I never get the Twin past 2 due to my living situations, and I don't gig yet. The Twin is heavy, but the Super looks like it might be heavier. The Super is a bit more expenisve...when I was in the market for an amp though, the prices were 1-2 hundred bucks less expensive then they are now.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell