Alright, so I'm considering getting a new amp. Now, I'm intent on getting a tube amp, because my current spider III just plain sucks. And I'm willing to pay about $1000, so I'm not going to settle for any hybrid piece of crap. Also, I really don't want anything over 50 watts because I really still want to be able to hear by the time I'm 30. Also, I would definately prefer a combo over a half stack.

I play mostly instrumental hard rock (Gilbert, Satriani, etc.), and I'm not really too interested in playing metal. However, I do need an amp that can do good rhythm for when I eventually join a band with a singer. But, it should still be able to do solos well. It needs at least two channels, preferably no more that three. It must have a good clean channel, for when I play those Vai songs! I've been looking for several months now, and one amp that caught my eye was the Laney VC30. Firstly, besides the different speaker sizes, what are the differences between the 210 and the 212. Also, what difference does the speaker size make on sound quality?

So, based on my descriptions, what amps do you all recomend?

P.S. Don't tell me to get a Valveking.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Don't get the VC30. It is a good amp in the U.K. where it is a great value, but in the US it isn't a good deal at all. Plus, it is for mid gain stuff at most so it wouldn't be what you are looking for. I say look at used Carvin V3 combos or used Peavey JSX combos ( Satch used them). Even some Laney GH50Ls would be good because Gilbert used them AFAIK. Maybe he used the VC50 combos (much different then the VC30).
Yeah, I've considered the JSX combos, but I really don't want a 120 watt amp is all. Plus, I already play a JS1000, and I don't really want to seem like a Satch fanboy. Except, that I probably already am....
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
peavey classic 30 or 50?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Is that your answer for everything? Yeah they are good amps when you can get them for $400 and you want classic rock and blues, but this guy wants shred and has $1000 to spend. I really think he can do better than the Classic series.
Yeah, no offense, but I have played the Peavey classics and they aren't really what I'm looking for.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Hmmm..... how about a nice Marshall MG100DFX?

Edit: the 100 SS watts should be close to 50 tube watts! Thank me later.
The Bugera 333XL is in your budget, but I'm pretty sure you could get something better, but at the moment, I'm not sure what...
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I love sarcasm. But not your kind of it.

Please stop.

I'm sorry........

i say go for a mesa rectoverb combo.
definately look into bugera combo and a speaker swap.
but if you have 1000 dollars try getting a stilleto. there super great and im sure its down your ally from what you mentioned.
who the hell said peavey classic 30.
Thanks Kaiser. I've checked ebay for a stiletto, but sadly I haven't had any luck. I guess I'm just going to have to keep waiting.

And no worries, TubeAmpGuy! I caught the sarcasm; I'm not an idiot.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
damn to bad you dont live in california, I always see them here for hella cheap.
there should be like UG officials or something like that, that live in diffrent areas of the states scouring for stuff on craigslist, to get you the gear you want with just for a small fee and of course being a UG'er, that would be great.
you have any relatives out here friends have any kids, just take em down for disneyland as an excuse and get the amp you want. if not keep on looking steleto would be hella sweet for what you want.

Edit:HHMM what else would be good. trying to think here.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 27, 2008,
i cant believe i havent even said this cause i tought someone mentioned it but if you wan you could come up on a carvin legacy, there amps that were made by vai for vai right so it might be worth looking at. of course being such a big vai fan you probly already know that.
Yeah, I've had that on my thoughts too. But, again, the whole being 100 watts thing has kinda put that somewhat in the back of my mind.

If I got the Laney I mentioned, and used a distortion or overdrive pedal, do you think that would be a good way to go? I already own a Tubescreamer and a Keeley modded DS-1.

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
just get a atuanator if you have that much for an amp and dont want it to be that loud.
it depends on what laney you have in my mind, the LC's no way and if you live in the states if you want to go that route might as well get a AC30 rather than VC30, laney amps here in the states are just a bitch on your wallet.
yah i see it working out but before anything goes definately take your pedals down to you nearest shop and play for days on an ac30 before deciding.
Carvin Legacy or V3 combo?

They have half power switches, but you'd probably want the Legacy. Then just boost it if you need heavier, but it should be decent on its own.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by TheKaiser77

but if you have 1000 dollars try getting a stilleto. there super great and im sure its down your ally from what you mentioned.
+1000000
Quote by TubeAmpGuy
Hmmm..... how about a nice Marshall MG100DFX?

Edit: the 100 SS watts should be close to 50 tube watts! Thank me later.

With regards to volume, 100 tube watts is also close to 50 tube watts!