I'm thinking about buying this acoustic guitar for a begginer, could someone please offer advice?

(Invalid img)

It's the STAGG Deluxe Acoustic SW203 guitar with basswood top - Top, Back & Sides: basswood - Neck: Nato - Fingerboard & Bridge: Black stained Maple - Machine heads: Diecast, nickel, black - Finish: Highgloss - Colour: natural.

Any advice please, Good or Bad will help but an explanation will help even more.

Thanks

David
Ermmm well I can get it for £60 with strap, bag, pitch pipes, plectrums included.
This is the friend I was talking about before.

I think it was £60 on ebay.
Don't cheap out. Get a decent guitar to start off like a Seagull S6. If you go too cheap at the beginning it can steepen your learing curve and prevent you from continuing entirely. I know it's tempting to just rush out as soon as you have money for something but my advice would be to buy in the 300-400 dollar range. That way you get a decent instrument that you'll continue to use long after you've bought a new one. Just my advice anyway.
I decided to have a look around google to see what I could find and most reviews just said it was good for a begginer, but not good for more experienced players seems like so far this might be the deal I'm going for, unless anyone else has other ideas, I had a look around for the seagull s6 and it seems its more of a middle players instrument, also with the budget I'm on the seagull seems a bit out of my range, and also this looks to be a good deal.
Quote by mattvl
Don't cheap out. Get a decent guitar to start off like a Seagull S6. If you go too cheap at the beginning it can steepen your learing curve and prevent you from continuing entirely. I know it's tempting to just rush out as soon as you have money for something but my advice would be to buy in the 300-400 dollar range. That way you get a decent instrument that you'll continue to use long after you've bought a new one. Just my advice anyway.

there is also a chance that he gives up guitar and doesnt like it. So in my mind its better to go with a cheap acoustic <200$ in case you quit and dont use it. Plus most beginners cant tell the difference between a 99 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar guitar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Product/CompareItems.aspx?prevurl=%2fCategory%2fDefault.aspx%3fc%3d3255%26c%3d4234%26c%3d4235%26pf%3d4%26urx%3d1
two great beginner guitars that will continue to be usefull once you get decent.
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Last edited by GU1T4R-H3R0 at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
there is also a chance that he gives up guitar and doesnt like it. So in my mind its better to go with a cheap acoustic <200$ in case you quit and dont use it. Plus most beginners cant tell the difference between a 99 dollar guitar and a 500 dollar guitar.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Product/CompareItems.aspx?prevurl=%2fCategory%2fDefault.aspx%3fc%3d3255%26c%3d4234%26c%3d4235%26pf%3d4%26urx%3d1
two great beginner guitars that will continue to be usefull once you get decent.

Tried to visit that link you gave me but the page doesn't seem to work, it loads but no items appear, what were the names of the two items you told me look at?, maybe you could give me a direct link to both of the items?
What I've found on a lot of those cheap starter guitars is that 1) the action is usually very high making them hard to play and 2) the intonation is never very good. Intonation is the guitar's ability to play notes accurately along the entire fretboard, at every fret. Some of these cheapo's aren't very well built, and the genericness of them makes for poor intonation. Some are better than others, I'll give you that, but still, a decent low end guitar won't run you much more than a couple hundred. You'll be miles ahead by getting something a little better, yet still not expensive.
By the way, $500-1000 is not expensive for a guitar, it's actually low end. $1000-2000 is getting up there to the middle area, and $2000+ is considered high end. However, there a lot of great guitars available in that low end market. Alvarez, Seagull, Yamaha, Epiphone just to name a few. It pays to hunt around.
that guitar is not good .. one of my local music store sells that brand and i find them inferior to the other starter guitars .. it sounds dead and the setup sucks .. u should invest a lil more .. if not then get a starter epiphone for $110
take it easy man .. its just a thread
Quote by LeftyDave
What I've found on a lot of those cheap starter guitars is that 1) the action is usually very high making them hard to play and 2) the intonation is never very good. Intonation is the guitar's ability to play notes accurately along the entire fretboard, at every fret. Some of these cheapo's aren't very well built, and the genericness of them makes for poor intonation. Some are better than others, I'll give you that, but still, a decent low end guitar won't run you much more than a couple hundred. You'll be miles ahead by getting something a little better, yet still not expensive.
By the way, $500-1000 is not expensive for a guitar, it's actually low end. $1000-2000 is getting up there to the middle area, and $2000+ is considered high end. However, there a lot of great guitars available in that low end market. Alvarez, Seagull, Yamaha, Epiphone just to name a few. It pays to hunt around.

Surely he could lower the action on it though?
Try a cheapish Yamaha. At least they are all well built.
Last edited by Akabilk at Jul 28, 2008,
Ah, I have one of these. It is okay if you want a cheap beginner guitar I guess, but it is not a very good guitar in general. From my experience of it the strings buzz alot, and it is not the most sturdy guitar ever, although it produces a good tone. What type of strings does it come with? If it comes with steel strings as mine did, beware that these will hurt more that nylon strings, although of course you can change them. But, each to their own, and it will be a reliable start if you are not sure whether you will continue with guitar.
Quote by Akabilk
Try a cheapish Yamaha. At least they are all well built.

+1 For a Yamaha
Gear:
Guitar:
'08 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Boss CS-3
Vox Satchurater
Peavey Classic 30

Bass:
Fender Jazz
Carvin BX500
Quote by Dave-Dixon
I'm thinking about buying this acoustic guitar for a begginer, could someone please offer advice?

(Invalid img)

It's the STAGG Deluxe Acoustic SW203 guitar with basswood top - Top, Back & Sides: basswood - Neck: Nato - Fingerboard & Bridge: Black stained Maple - Machine heads: Diecast, nickel, black - Finish: Highgloss - Colour: natural.

Any advice please, Good or Bad will help but an explanation will help even more.

Thanks

David

It won't be good for you.

Yes, I appreciate that you may not have hundreds of pounds to spend, but.

If you buy a £60 guitar, it will not help you learn to play...it will be hard to play due to action, intonation and generally sounding crap.

If you give up, you won't be able to sell it for anything.

If you buy something for about £100-150, it will sound and play miles better AND will have some resale value.

As suggested, Yamaha (ask Patticake which ones), Tanglewood etc, but...just found this Westfield WF500 electro. Retail is £140, yours for £78 AND has a SOLID spruce top...bargain.

http://www.themusicking.co.uk/westfield-wf500-ceq-solid-top-electro-acoustic-guitar

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 18, 2010,
I highly recommend the SA-100 acoustic pack by Squier (Fender)

It was my first acoustic and I still use it the most. It sounds great, built great. And the fretboard is really comfortable. Slick and it's black, which is a really smooth design.
"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."

~Leonardo da Vinci
Quote by ArcticDude
Ah, I have one of these. It is okay if you want a cheap beginner guitar I guess, but it is not a very good guitar in general. From my experience of it the strings buzz alot, and it is not the most sturdy guitar ever, although it produces a good tone. What type of strings does it come with? If it comes with steel strings as mine did, beware that these will hurt more that nylon strings, although of course you can change them. But, each to their own, and it will be a reliable start if you are not sure whether you will continue with guitar.

Necrobumps will get you a warning, watch your dates man!