I use all kind of weird tunings. As a result, strings keep breaking once in awhile. I try not to tune them too high, but they still break. My g string broke 5 minutes ago, while I was tuning it "DOWN."

is there a way to put an end to this disaster? I was using Elixir's Polyweb by the way.
Quote by pwrmax
Even something that cheap shouldn't break string like that. I think you need to pay a guitar tech a visit.

ok. thanks for your help.
Quote by imsangha
I use all kind of weird tunings. As a result, strings keep breaking once in awhile. I try not to tune them too high, but they still break. My g string broke 5 minutes ago, while I was tuning it "DOWN."

is there a way to put an end to this disaster? I was using Elixir's Polyweb by the way.

You can visit all the guitar techs you want, but until you keep the thing in one tuning you're going to be breaking strings, and that's all there is to it. You are doing it to the strings yourself by constantly changing tunings. Strings can't take that constant bending and rebending around the tuning posts, so they snap. I'd be willing to bet that they are snapping up at the tuning posts too.
Guitar strings have a fair amount of linear tensile strength(lengthwise) but very poor lateral(sideways) strength. Ever broke a paperclip in half by bending it over and over in the same spot until it snaps? Same thing here.
Some strings take the extra punishment of altered tunings better than others do. Elixers are probably one of the worst for this, too stiff. Try some Martin Silk and Steels and see if that helps. They have silk wrapped around the inner wire just before the outer wrap goes on, which makes them a bit more stretchy and bendy than standard strings. Sort of like nylons but for steel string guitars. I've had good luck with them, and they're not too spendy.
is there a way to put an end to this disaster?

Stop changing tunings or buy multiple guitars and have one for each tuning. Honestly though, Leftydave's post is spot on.