http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX7NOp6cTGE

I'm gonna be honest, I don't expect anybody to like this.
But I'll save you the time, read the YouTube description to better grasp what I was thinking.

I'll give the backstory I didn't write on YouTube just cause I trust UG with my life for some reason.
Basically, this is the song that was playing when me and my girlfriend broke up.
And she obsessively listened to it the days leading up to our break up, so much to the point where I blame this song for ending my relationship.

I hate this song, but it's so beautiful.
if you hadn't had the original playing along, you're right--I probably wouldn't have liked it. As it is, though, it gave the song an interesting kind of anger. Overdone, yes, but still interesting.

EDIT: I just got to 2:00. You're take on the piano from there on is quite nice, really. Props for that
I owe a ton of people critiques.

If you're one of them, please PM me.

I have trouble keeping track.
thanks for the crit of my song

as you probably guessed by my avatar, I'm a big Death Cab fan, and to my ears this is not a good cover. but since you pretty much downplayed it as much as possible in the video description, there's really nothing to critique, and I don't play that style of guitar so I couldn't be much help anyway. good luck getting back together with your gf (if you want to that is)
Hey, thanks for the comment on mine.

I've just seriously got into Death Cab and I love them, and for some reason I wierdly really like this cover I do like some metal stuff, and I think it works really well together. Very original, I like it!
Thanks for the crit! Love you're quote on Asians, don't you just love society? Haha.

Well, I can certainly feel the emotion in your soloing. The rythmn parts kind of got in the way of the song, but it still kind of works knowing the reason behind you covering the song.
Gear:
Fender Diamond Anniversary Stratocaster
Washburn Dime V Pro
Peavy Bandit 112
Fender Frontman 15R

A few of my originals can be found at

www.bebo.com/artificial-reality
Thanks for crit on my Long Division cover (Though I think comapring me with Thom Yorke or Chris Martin is a little too much...)

Anyway, I heard your 'cover'. My opinion? Everybody should express and let go his/her bitterness, depression and anger (like you said) that very same way. I like what you did. The solo is pretty emotive and 'in your face'. Cool thing to do, man. A fabulous way of destroying a beautiful song.
Hell is empty. All the devils are here. - William Shakespeare
thanks for the crit. I actually thought that what you played worked well over the song. Knowing about the break up before listening really gives this song a cool feeling. Well done.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Nice. I don't know anothing about Death Cab, so I can't be much of a help. However I liked the raw feeling you were going for. You should try close micing the amp and you'll get a real ROCK sound. Nice work and keep up the vids!
I'm not much a fan of Death Cab, I don't know much about their music. I agree with Daniel Davis, the raw feeling was great. I like the expressiveness of this "cover," I would probably listen to more of your stuff if I came across it. Good Job!
thanks for the comment. I can't really compare this to anything, because im not a death cab for cute fan, though. sorry!
that's pretty cool. i went into listening to it with the lowest expectations (i had expected to totally hate it to be honest, especially because i love the original) but it was actually not half bad at all. it's not pretty, but your playing actually summed up what you were trying put across., which is a great thing

the one thing that really caught me was at 2.25 or so, when you hit the note again after missing it the first time, you get this really weird off key warble to the note, very reminiscent of when someone is trying to hold back crying when they sing. clearly it was a mistake and unintentional, but a happy mistake, and it caught me off guard and gave that whole section a new feel to it.
Quote by phoenix_88

the one thing that really caught me was at 2.25 or so, when you hit the note again after missing it the first time, you get this really weird off key warble to the note, very reminiscent of when someone is trying to hold back crying when they sing. clearly it was a mistake and unintentional, but a happy mistake, and it caught me off guard and gave that whole section a new feel to it.

It makes me really happy you noticed that, because with the whole solo, that's what I was going for (even though that one note was a mistake). I tried making it really trebly and high, plus I threw in the wah cause I was going for a sound that was reminiscent of tears, reminiscent of crying. Because that's the part of the song that brings out the most in me, emotionally.

Thanks for that crit, bro. :]
I think it melds well. I'm a pretty big Death Cab fan, and this is a favorite song of mine, but I still think that you took it and did something nice with it.
The Chad
At first I was like, wtf mate? Then I read the description.

There's nothing I can really critique. Besides the occasional wrong note or what not. Maybe just a hint. If you want to make a solo that really expressive an emotion. You can't have notes being played 24/7. Don't play any notes for a measure. Then play a small scale softly. Then at the top of the scale launch into some highly dissident solo/chord.
Plus instead of using first position chords. Use the power chords. That way you can just launch into a riff based off that chord's pentatonic scale.
Mmmh you're right. I can't say that I liked it. But the anger is caught there, and if that was your main intention, great job.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Critting back.

With the background, I think its really cool. Real grunge, real **** you; real pretty in some angry, sadistic kind of way. Its beautiful because its so ugly I guess you could say.

Keep it up.
Not a big death cab for cutie fan, but this version isn't bad, you really....de-death cab for cutied it. Your anger made a boring song (IMO at least) not half bad.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Very different, I liked it though! I'm a big Death Cab fan, and its nice to see a new spin on it.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Great cover.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots