So the drummer in my band wants me to make some "weird noises" for this one section of a song. He didn't really say anything specific, just some funky/crazy sounds. The only problem is, I don't have many pedals. I have an original crybaby wah, this chorus pedal, and this distortion pedal. Unfortunately, I have no money to buy any others right now. Any one have any ideas of what I could do to acheive this? I know I'm being really vague, but pretty mcuh any type of effect or noise will work. I've tried experiementing, but I really don't know how to do this.
Last edited by Spamwise at Jul 27, 2008,
You could plug your wah in backwards (amp cable to instrument jack) for kicks. Hendrix did that and the intro track of Axis: Bold As Love. You just need to turn it on and voila.

Also, if you get like a slide (or like a battery) just **** around towards the high end of the fretboard you can make some cool sounds.

You could Tom Morello it and use the toggle switch for the pickups as a kill switch (bridge volume full, neck volume all the way down). Combine that with the wah pedal by going toe-down when you have your "kill switch" at the bridge pickup and you can get some cool noises, like in "How I Could Just Kill A Man".

There's also the guitar tricks column.
I was an Internet Witness in the mike.h Murder Case.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
i used to be able to get a really cool sound with tuning on distortion and wah wah while unplugging the guitar and touching the end of the cable. it makes some really weird noises if you do it right.
turn the all the knobs on all your pedals all the way up and adjust the level on your OD acordioningly
maybe you can do some weird stuff with your actual technique... try using chords and mess around with them to get weird sounds... or get a whammy bar or something with a spiral on an end (like a screw I mean....xD i dunno how to describe it) and drag it across to get a sort of weird sound.

just mess around with doing wacky stuff
What kind of guitar do you have? You can get some really cool sounds using unique properties of your guitar.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Chris_Parker
You could plug your wah in backwards (amp cable to instrument jack) for kicks. Hendrix did that and the intro track of Axis: Bold As Love. You just need to turn it on and voila.

Also, if you get like a slide (or like a battery) just **** around towards the high end of the fretboard you can make some cool sounds.

You could Tom Morello it and use the toggle switch for the pickups as a kill switch (bridge volume full, neck volume all the way down). Combine that with the wah pedal by going toe-down when you have your "kill switch" at the bridge pickup and you can get some cool noises, like in "How I Could Just Kill A Man".

There's also the guitar tricks column.

Those all sound sweet..I'll try them out tomorrow. Thanks!

Yeah I guess I could have checked that out. It's just I'm limited in my equipment, and so yeah.

edit: I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio
if you had some money u could rent or buy an octave pedal that would make some crazy sounds or u could use a wammy bar and on the g string use ur index finger and middle and go up and down the string in a hammer on pull off thing while use the bar
Quote by slayerfrk
if you had some money u could rent or buy an octave pedal that would make some crazy sounds or u could use a wammy bar and on the g string use ur index finger and middle and go up and down the string in a hammer on pull off thing while use the bar

Yeah..well if I had money, I would definitely buy new pedals. I also don't have a whammy bar. I forgot to mention that.
Quote by Spamwise
Those all sound sweet..I'll try them out tomorrow. Thanks!

Yeah I guess I could have checked that out. It's just I'm limited in my equipment, and so yeah.

I just feel like giving a warning, since you seem like a nice guy

I generally give that first one as a joke. Not because it wrecks your pedal or anything (I'd never suggest that to someone), but it's really loud, no matter how low your amp is. It basically does one hell of a squeal. Jimi did use it, though. It was in a Guitar Legends DVD on Axis: Bold As Love.

But other than that, that stuff is all fun.

EDIT:
Screwing around with harmonics is always fun, too. Doesn't matter if they're natural, pinched, whatever. Just don't go overboard.
Quote by Pauldapro
this man is right. everything he says is right. so, stop killing people and get therapy ffs
I haven't done this in a while but if you have humbuckers on your guitar. Then turn up the highs and distortion and scream into your humbuckers.
Hold your cell phone near your pickups and push buttons and stuff.

I discovered this when I had my cell phone in my pocket (BEHIND the guitar) and the gain up a mid amount.

For added bonus sounds, rub the strings with the phone while you push buttons.

I generally give that first one as a joke. Not because it wrecks your pedal or anything (I'd never suggest that to someone), but it's really loud, no matter how low your amp is. It basically does one hell of a squeal. Jimi did use it, though. It was in a Guitar Legends DVD on Axis: Bold As Love.

I'm glad you said that..Because I was actually about to go try it, and my family's all asleep hahaha.

I haven't done this in a while but if you have humbuckers on your guitar. Then turn up the highs and distortion and scream into your humbuckers.

Yeah that's always cool. I have a really wimpy voice though, haha.
Well this is a bit off topic of trying to get some cool sounds out of your current rig but you could use a cordless power drill
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Chris_Parker

I was gonna say this. Buy a slide and move it over top of the pickups past the fretboard and you can get some crazy sounds coming out of it.
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Rub almost anything metal over the strings between the pickups...throw in a crapload of reverb and some delay...verrrrry trippy.
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
Reverse the input/output into your wah pedal. David Gilmour did this for the "seagull" or "whale" sounds during the mid section of Echoes.
Quote by virusoflife26
Rub almost anything metal over the strings between the pickups...throw in a crapload of reverb and some delay...verrrrry trippy.

Throw a crapload of reverb and some delay on anything and it's very trippy
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Meddled
Reverse the input/output into your wah pedal. David Gilmour did this for the "seagull" or "whale" sounds during the mid section of Echoes.

Beat you to it, but I didn't know Gilmour did that too.

Oh, and it's not just a cell phone that can do that. Anything that emits a signal, basically. I had a video camera in my hand while my guitar was on my lap, and when I zoomed in/out it made some ambient noises. The same goes for like a TV remote.

I'll try to think of some more...

And one more thing to the wah trick, it's kind of a split between and acquired taste and a "you like it or you don't" kind of thing. Like, when my hollowbody gets swamped by feedback, I like it. I can do stuff with it (also a suggestion; play with feedback). Everyone else finds it annoying, especially bandmates.
Quote by Pauldapro
a subtle thing u could try is pick tapping above the pickups..been done a lot, but it works...u could try increasing ur chorus speed...crank the mix level, and start with a slow swoosh and then slowly start speeding it up into a vibrato...works good when u have a delay pedal i think
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
my own personal suggestion is one which i saw the guitarist from friendly fires (not very well known, were supporting kaisers) is that he used a portable vacuum (you know the dodgy handheld ones) and used it to vibrate the strings all at the same time (kinda like an ebow but bigger and more mean xD) , bizarre idea if you ask me but definetly worth trying if you want some crazy sounds. twizzle the controls on your pedal or use the wah at the same time aswell to make it more mad
Yeah, just come up with some crazy ****.

Tom Morello rubbed/scraped an Allen wrench on his strings, tapped them with a penicil, etc. Just use whatever you can find.
Quote by Pauldapro
turn the chorus knobs way up and adjust to taste. combine that with the wah and just kind of drumming your strings with your fingers. dont really pluck them, just kinda smack them lightly with the palm side of your fingers.

or a tv remote pointed at your pickups. every time you push a button it makes a noise. large metal object rubbing the strings over the pickups, tapping the pickups or even just waving around near the pickups. just kinda play around with stuff.
Well, I think you should just buy a slide.
And if you can't even afford to buy one, use lipstick. Get some lipstick, take the cap off, put it on your finger, and play it. Sounds dumb, but I do it, and it works pretty well. A lot of people improvise that way if their slides breaks, even guys.
Quote by Rokusasu
Well, I think you should just buy a slide.
And if you can't even afford to buy one, use lipstick. Get some lipstick, take the cap off, put it on your finger, and play it. Sounds dumb, but I do it, and it works pretty well. A lot of people improvise that way if their slides breaks, even guys.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. Now it's just a matter of sorting through lipstick at the store for a tube that fits my finger...

Hell, you could even make pickups out of them!
Quote by Pauldapro